The Idea Bulb is a visible indication to the audience that someone has had a bright idea. Sometimes, though, the idea will be a sound notion, so we hear the Idea Ding. It's a simple one-note Sting sound made on a xylophone or glockenspiel or something else that sounds light and metallic. Often appears with its Sister Trope Idea Bulb. Also related to Audible Gleam. Compare Palm-Fist Tap for a Japanese Media variant. The same sound is often used for Love at First Sight, but that's a different trope.
- UHF, when George("Weird Al" Yankovic) gets the last-ditch idea to hold a telethon for his TV station.
- Happens in-universe in the Australian children's books Bottersnikes And Gumbles. It's limited to one character, Tinkingumble, and the loss of his "tink" is a plot point in one book.
- Dexter's Laboratory: The Monkey episode "Peltra" has the Idea Bulb and Idea Ding happen together as Agent Honeydew thinks of a way to save Monkey.
- Happens frequently on Phineas and Ferb — not quite Once an Episode, but when it does appear, it's almost always before Phineas' "Hey Ferb!" Catch Phrase.
- Ultimate Spider-Man: "Venom": Peter is standing alone in his Dramatic Spotlight with no idea how to sort out what to do about Harry's dislike of Peter's "new friends". Mary Jane intervenes with a suggestion that comes with its own Idea Ding. Peter brightens up, heartened by her great idea.
- Wander of Wander over Yonder likes to say "Bing!" whenever he gets an idea.