Amazing Island is a video game developed by Hitmaker/Ancient and published by Sega for the Nintendo GameCube. In it you play as a boy or a girl and are whisked off to Amazing Island after reading a book. Upon your arrival, the place is covered in a fog and under the rule of the Black Evil. Of course, you're supposed to save the island and its residents or the world of Amazing Island will fade into nothingness.The game comprises two features, a rather open-ended monster creator/editor and the obstacle courses [mini-games].The game got sub-par rankings amongst critics, but it's still a rather fun title to play, especially for US$10.
Tropes for the game include:
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Accessories, palettes, etc.
- Battle Tops: Spin Break and its upgrades.
- Big Bad: The Black Evil.
- Do Well, but Not Perfect: To get accessories, palettes, and voices, your score must be between 1000-1799.
- Humans Are Special: Only they can create monsters.
- Imagination Based Power
- Just for Fun: A lot of people would rather mess around in the monster creator (like putting the eyes on the monster's knees), not knowing the stat bonuses of the items, frames and everything else. Not as if it matters much.
- Monster Portraits: Just as customizable as everything else.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: The Black Evil minions have these.
- Nintendo Hard: Some of the obstacles and 100% Completion (stupid monster cards).
- Scenery Porn: Well, there's a reason they gave you a first-person view.