Back when the world was a ball of ferns, when a good front lawn was a half-acre of bubbling slime, a giant amoeba split in two. The front half, the end with the brains, called itself Los Angeles. The butt end became Toon Town.
Cartoons are not real
. They're made with art supplies and brought to life by animators and Voice Actors
. It's sad but it's true.
Hey, wait a minute! We seem to have made a wrong turn at Albu-coiky
! Now we're in Toon Town, that very special district of Fantasy
Land where cartoon characters are people, just like you and me. Sometimes, they exist as a separate and independent species
, and sometimes, the place itself transforms
humans into Toons.
But all details aside, Toon Town is a loony sort of place
where Cartoon Physics
and the Rule of Funny
reign supreme. Expect the Roger Rabbit Effect
almost every time.
Not to be confused with the MMORPG
, Toon Town Online
open/close all folders
Live Action TV
- The official mythos of the Disney Theme Parks states that the costumed characters are the real characters. Then there's Mickey's Toontown and Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin.
- Inside the parks, Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland is considered where Mickey and co. actually live. You can walk through Mickey's house, etc. (And presumably that's where he retires to when the park closes down for the night.) Walt Disney World had a similar area for many years, and to avoid a Continuity Snarl it was technically labeled Mickey's Toontown Fair - sort of a country getaway for the classic Disney characters. Mickey's pad was billed as Mickey's Country House since, you know, his actual house is in Disneyland. The smaller Toon Studio area at EuroDisney is presented as the place toons go to work and film their movies. There's also a Toontown in Tokyo Disneyland that's identical to the one in Calfornia's Disneyland but try not to think too hard about that.
- Toon Lagoon in Universal Studios' Islands of Adventure can be seen as an example of this.
- Odds are your friendly neighborhood Six Flags park will have a "Looney Tunes Town" or some variant of it.
- Toon Town Online, a MMORPG inspired by the Trope Namer.
- The Toon World from the very meta GameCube title, Go! Go! Hypergrind!
- The Cartoon Wasteland from Epic Mickey, home to neglected and forgotten Disney characters.
- Epic Mickey also brings us the hub map of OsTown, which is based on the theme park version of the trope and is sort of a more blatant example, though there's still some pretty grim stuff in the area.
- Close inspection of the town sign reveals that the name originally was Toontown before Oswald took over and changed it.
- Disney Castle, the surrounding Disney Town, and Timeless River, Disney Town in the past, in Kingdom Hearts.
- Toonstruck takes place in a toon world.