Webcomic: Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff
"Pfft you don't merely read 'Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff' you have to appreciate it like a fine wine."
Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.
Will get some stuff, and do some things.
With Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff,
the laughs keep happening!Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff
is a webcomic which is pretty much the epitome
of the Stylistic Suck
trope in its medium. Originally spawned by Andrew Hussie
from an exchange on the Penny Arcade
forums, it was some time thereafter integrated into Homestuck
as a Show Within a Show
, ostensibly written by Dave Strider
. It stars the eponymous Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff, as well as their Black Best Friend
Geromy, as they get up to... well, plenty of things, none of which quite make sense.
A SBaHJ book has been released, co-designed by Hussie, KC Green
, and John Keogh
. It could be autographed by Hussie or Dave Strider. It is limited to a single run.clock for bettAR page (if your a bich)
- Aborted Arc: The Nancho Party, although Dave had already planned on doing so in advance.
- Aerith and Bob: One guy is called Sweet Bro. The other is called Hella... Jeff.
- Alien Lunch: "today i put.............JELLY on this hot god"
- AHAHAHAHAHA JUST HOW HIGH DO YOU EVEN HAVE TO BE JUST TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT........
- Anachronic Order: Since the first comic uses a reused panel from the second comic, this has to be assumed.
- Annoying Laugh: Hella Jeff's "HE HE HE"
- Art Evolution: Hella Jeff's appearance here◊. Actually, it's more like Art Devolution in this case. In addition, the comic's policy of saving in JPG and copying over parts from previous comics causes artifacts to gradually build up, meaning that each character pose gets worse the more it appears.
- Author Appeal: An in-universe example: Dave clearly emphasises the rumps of characters in SBaHJ. Dave's Bro, whom Dave strives to emulate, appears to have an odd puppet-ass fetish.
- Batman Gambit: The sock ruse was a... DISTACTION
- Beat Panel: Considering how many panels are copied and pasted from earlier in the comic/earlier comics of the series, this can become ridiculous.
- Big Game: Seen here◊. (its sports)
- Black Best Friend: "intoducing, the new friend..., GEROMY"
- Bloody Hilarious: The end of Ep. 38◊, whene Sweet Bro is truned int meet '''chunk''' BY whirlybird blaids
- Bold Inflation: Random words are in all caps and/or bigger font. They do not even reflect emphasis in places that would make euphonic sense.
i HAVE the car
- Bond One-Liner: check mate◊
- Brick Joke: This◊ seems like a cut-off joke... until this happens.◊
- Buffy Speak: All over the place, even for common words.
- "TURD THE SPOON FLATWAYS"
- "AHA, the sport pile doesnt stop from getting taller."
- Butt Monkey: Sweet Bro
- Call Back: Sweet Bro here◊ to Hella Jeff here.◊
- Cartoony Eyes: The eyes of the animals are more human-like than the human characters'.
- Catch Phrase: "And there he goe's.....". Usually said by Hella Jeff, and more often than not referring to Sweet Bro.
- Catchphrase Spouting Duo: Everything out of the boys' mouths is some kind of meme. Everything.
- Cerebus Syndrome: MSPA Wiki states that issue 18 was seen as the beginning of this.
- Character Blog: Barack Obana has a Twitter account (but according to Word of God it's not his).
- Christmas Episode: Which was written on May 1st.
- Clueless Aesop: Parodied in strip 19◊. "he wants that us all to keep it real about............... AIDS"
- Cluster F-Bomb: The magnetic poetry set speaks for itself.
- Conspicuous Consumption: Possibly one of the strangest uses of this trope appears during Ep. 36◊...
- Cut and Paste Comic: For Stylistic Suck purposes, of course; chunks of Photoshop windows get caught in the cutting and pasting!
- Dada Comic: As the rest of the page can attest.
- Department of Redundancy Department: SWEET BRO AND HELLA JEFF goes shoping (in "SBahHJ go shopping)
- "THE SOCK RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION"
- Disorganized Outline Speech: and with the prince of this shirt ready to SKYKROCKET◊, i forogot the point i was making?
- Distracted by the Sexy: ""it was at that point when i got distracted by his moms HOT ASS..."
- The Ditz: Sweet Bro is so inept that he can't even do the simple act of putting on a boot correctly.
- Don't Explain the Joke: "THIS IS WHAT THE REFRANCE"◊
- Dog Pile of Doom: "AHA, the sport pile doesnt stop from getting taller."◊
- Dramatic Ellipsis: Pretty much everywhere.
- "ERR............... UH BRO....? WHERE ARE YOURE PANTS .. ...?"
- Dream Sequence: Hella Jeff dreams of sports in a fantasy game with The Big Man. Sweet Bro crashes his dream and Hilarity Ensues.
- Dynamic Entry: BAOOOAM!!!◊
- Eldritch Abomination: According to the wiki, stairs are all of the evil in this world.
- Expanded Universe: There are a number of fanmade comics. Some are even placed on the Homestuck site.
- Eye Awaken: Here.◊
- Fan Disservice: If it's even vaguely intended to be sexual, it's this in spades; sexualising anything with this much Stylistic Suck makes it infintely more disturbing to regard. Even stuff that isn't presented in a sexual light but is nonetheless emphasised is this; we're talking a comic which put heavy focus on an elelephant's HUGE BUTT and GREY MUTANT PENIS◊.
- And issue 44 features a close up on a bull's ass. Then it takes a shit.
- Issue 47 features a close up on Hella Jeff's ass taking a shit. Into Sweet Bro's pipe.
- Funny Animals: The boys become these here◊.
- SB donf lik to be SEEN as furbeh, those. f YOU Look at the boffom of thE paig, the cOMic name i bube just no???
- Fonts: It's lettered in Comic Sans, which, true to form, is considered pretty terrible to read.
- Fountain of Memes: In-Universe. The whole reason it was brought into Homestuck was to provide a source of memes that would be original to the comic and exclusive to the characters. (It's also one in real life, of course.)
- Gag Penis: The elelephant, with its GREY MUTANT PENIS.
- Gambit Roulette: "the short... GLOWNS IN THE DARK / the short acutally DOES NOT GLOWN IN THE DARK / too find out watch thing is true...... BUY THE SHIRT????" The first run did not glow in the dark. The second run did. Then the same thing happened again with the second and third SBaHJ shirts.
"... The thing is, some of those new shirts got mixed in the the old ones. So I guess if you order one there is still a CHANCE you will get one that doesn't glow in the dark? So really the offer stands as the wild card originally advertised."
- Halloween Episode: Which was written on Christmas Day.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners
- Helicopter Blender: Played spectacularly straight for laughs in a Crosses the Line Twice kind of way, after Sweet Bro litfofs into a whirlybird.
- How We Got Here: With popcorn.◊
- I Banged Your Mom: The very first comic to be made (but the second in the archives) has this.
- I Could Tell You But But I'd Would Have To Kill You: GOD DAAAAAAMMNN◊
- I Fell for Hours: The nanchos, and apparently Sweet Bro on the stairs.
- In a Single Bound: "im telling you...air like that is UNREAL, it doens't even HAPPEN. most of the time"
- I Warned You: "I TOLD YOU MAN I TOLD YOU ABOUT STAIRS!"
- Jerkass: Hella Jeff, who loves screwing around with Sweet Bro as much as he can, usually for his own amusement.
- Karma Houdini: Hella Jeff. He steals the car, bangs Sweet Bro's mothernote , and is an all-around douchebag.
- His punishment is having to put up with Bro's incompetence.
- Lampshade Hanging: There's now a space for advertisements on SBaHJ, which feature the remark below "(i hope the ad is for some ponography!", seemingly hanging a lampshade on the fact that most of the ads on MS Paint Adventures proper end up being for porn comics.
- Living Prop: Geromy, despite getting a formal introduction in big letters. He doesn't even move.
- Long Pants: Hella Jeff and Geromy are always wearing these. Sweet Bro actually had differentiated pants at first, but is now always drawn with these.
- Loophole Abuse: After being corrected during a chess game, Sweet Bro throws a pawn in the toilet and declares checkmate.
- Ludicrous Gibs/Gorn: PHHPPPBBBbbthb◊
- Male Gaze: "dufe, are you SCOPING this bipches CHOICE ASS.."
- Malevolent Architecture: Sweet Bro just can't stop falling down stairs.
- Man Hug: The boys do possibly the most dramatic man hug ever in the fifth comic◊.
- Marijuana Is LSD: SUDDENLY WEED DREAMS. poof!
- Mind Your Step / Staircase Tumble: "FUCK IM FALLING DOWN ALL THESE STAIRS"
- Minimalism: "that's the comic fuckmunch, its't just a wall."
- Misaimed Fandom: In-universe- Dave mentions he has tons of fans who think the comic is hilarious and played totally straight, when it's meant to be ironic. However, that's just the way he likes it.
- More Dakka: Sweet Bro kills vampire Jeff with "deudly firearms".
- The Moive: Several in Homestuck's B2 universe, starring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson and Donald Glover (sorry, no Snoop Dogg).
- Ms. Fanservice: Sweet Bro's mom and the beautiful wonan.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Virtually everything the boys do.
- Name and Name
- No Ending: Most of the comics.
- Nutty Squirrel: "ahahahahahaha, WHERE do you even get a nut thats that big..."
- chech out this fuckin squirrelt!
- I'm giving him my momey.
- Pants-Free: The second comic.◊
- Parental Incest: The punchline of the second comic (which was actually the first one made). The psychological repercussions are not explored.
- Poe's Law: An in-universe example: in Homestuck, it's described as "a webcomic ironically maintained through a satirical cipher" with "legions of devoted fans, most of whom are totally convinced" of Dave's sockpuppet persona's sincerity.
- Then you realise that SBaHJ really does have large numbers of devoted fans and is arguably more well-known than Homestuck...
- It's hard to get more well-known than Homestuck, and in any case Hussie has said that HS references SBaHJ so much it's actually easier to read the latter without the former than the other way around.
- Punchline: They're there occasionally, usually complete non-sequiturs or orphaned.
- Rage Quit: checkmate◊
- Reality Is Unrealistic: Quoth Andrew Hussie:
AH: Ironically, I couldn't make it anywhere near as terrible looking if I used Paint.
- Older versions of MS Paint have no antialiasing at all, which would prevent the anti-aliasing vs. aliasing conflicts that make the edges that horrible.
- MS Paint doesn't allow to set the quality parameter of a JPEG image.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Intentionally. It's very common, but fanwork has a tendency to flanderize it to near-unintelligible levels (see the start of this very page).
- Rule 34: Tongue-in-cheek, thank gog.
- Sensory Abuse: Arguably the entire point of the comic, but the theme song in particular stands out.
- Shout-Out: To Chorlie Brown.
- Show Within a Show
- Staircase Tumble
- Surprise Incest: HE HE HE◊
- Surreal Humor
- The Stoner: Sweet Bro is so HIGH, he puts JELLY on this hot god.
- Everybody was high when the nancho party went down. EVERYBODY
- Stylistic Suck: It's the usual poster boy for the trope.
- Take That: The comic started as a lighthearted one from this thread in the Penny Arcade forums. The first comic appears in this post.
- The banner ad block is somewhat less lighthearted, riffing on the number of advertisements for porn comics which are an inexplicable regular feature on the main MS Paint Adventures website (well, and Oglaf...).
- Take Our Word for It: AHAHAHA omfg i cant BELIEVE what he made take place◊
- Team Pet: "staring the 'newd dog'..... peaches"
- Thanksgiving Episode
- Those Two Guys: You'll never guess.
- Toilet Humor: Sweet Bro gets shat upon by a bull in issue 44.
- Token Minority: Geromy (despite being the third black character to be introduced, after Barack Obana and The Big Man).
- Took a Level in Badass: IT.S TIME TO GET:◊ RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPED!
- Totally Radical: A substantial portion of their speech is a rather garbled version of this, as do some of their activities of choice, particularly Bro being god's gift to grinds.
- Twist Ending: He was lookind◊
- Two Gamers on a Couch: It initially sells itself as such, but quickly descends into madness. Very few comics have to do with video games, and even then only tangentially, and the only comic where Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff are actually on a couch playing video games quickly turns to... something else.
- Unsound Effect: Griiiiinb
- Very Special Episode: Strip 19◊. "he wants that us all to keep it real about............... AIDS"
- Vitriolic Best Buds: "OKAY SO THERE'S THESE TWO GUYS/THEY'RE TOTALLY THE BEST OF FRIENDS/AND THEY'RE TWO PIECES OF SHIT ALL THE TIME/WELL THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT WORKS"
- Wham Line: "i was banging your mom for a minute there...... AND NOW YOU ARE BANGING HER"
- What Could Have Been: In-Universe: Dave originally planned to make Cool Dude and Stoner Lou despite regretting the fact that it looked too much like his brother's stuff. As part of her trolling and a stable time loop, Terezi's artwork inspires him to make SB&HJ.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: In-universe example, which actually arose out of someone asking Hussie this very question on the Penny Arcade forums:
Sweet Bro: today i put.... JELLY on this hot god.
Hella Jeff: AHAHAHAHAHAHA just how HIGH do you even have to BE to DO something like that...
- The Wiki Rule: There used to be a SBaHJ Wiki in the style of the webcomic, but it has since expired.
- Winged Humanoid: The first SBAHJifier-produced Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff comic: time to fly up away to the sun you fucknig piece of gargbage.
- Word Salad Humor: "WHAT'S IS that guys even his PROBLEM? is like heg got BROAD SIDE SCHOOL FED up the BONE BULGE"
- This is revealed eventually in Homestuck to be something Dave quoted ad verbatim from Tavros's early trolling attempts, presumably not knowing what it meant (he uses it out of context and incorrectly) but thinking it sounds funny. At the time he said it, Tavros was adopting a Totally Radical rapper persona in the hope of besting Dave, which was making him harder to understand. It also later turns out "schoolfed" is the ordinary troll term for 'schooled', and a "bone bulge" is a phallic troll sex organ of some kind.
dufe, are you SCOPING this arpicles CHOICE ASS