is a series of books directed at tween girls by Rachel Renee Russell
. They follow the misadventures of Nikki J. Maxwell, a slightly bratty
and shallow but still well-meaning and likable fourteen year old girl. The story begins when Nikki's family moves because of her father's job, and Nikki is transferred to Westchester Country Day, a private school that is much too fancy for Nikki's tastes. There, she meets Alpha Bitch
MacKenzie Hollister, Chloe Garcia and Zoey Franklin (unpopular but awesome new friends), and Brandon Roberts (Nikki's crush, MacKenzie's crush, and overall Nice Guy
There are 6 books so far, as well as a companion.
Now features a characters page.
- Book One: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not So Fabulous Life
- Book Two: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not So Popular Party Girl
- Book Three: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not So Talented Pop Star
- Book Three and a Half: How to Dork Your Diary
- Book Four: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not So Graceful Ice Princess
- Book Five: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not So Smart Miss Know-It-All
- Book Six: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not So Happy Heartbreaker
- Book OMG: Dork Diaries: All About Me Diary!
- Book Seven: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not So Glam TV Star
- Book Eight: Dork Diaries: Tales From a Not So Happily Ever After
Feel free to contribute.
Tropes found in Dork Diaries:
- Animesque: Nikki is an artist who draws pictures in manga style and stick figure style.
- Brutal Honesty:
- Chloe and Zoey are always quick to tell Nikki when her plans or ideas kind of suck.
- Subverted by Nikki as she often says something brutally honest, and then admits "but I just said that inside my head, so no one heard it but me."
- Nikki's "but I just said that inside my head, so no one heard it but me." whenever she is saying something, but is actually just thinking it.
- "WHATEVER!" is a standard response.
- "I just HATE it when MacKenzie sashays!" whenever Nikki sees Mac Kenzie struts out of the scene in a fashionista-like manner.
- MacKenzie frequently says "OMG" and "hon".
- Comic Trio: Chloe or Zoey comes up with the insane/stupid plans, the other one agrees, and Nikki is left wondering whether or not she's flypaper for freaks.
- Cool Loser: Chloe, Zoey, and Nikki would likely be popular if people would give them a chance.
- Distaff Counterpart: The series is a somewhat obvious one to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, from both the main characters getting into predicaments and such right down to the non-canonical do-it-yourself installment between books 3 and 4.
- Happy Dance: Nikki does "Snoopy happy dance" when she's pleased.
- High School Dance: The entire plot of Not So Popular Party Girl revolves around two of them (MacKenzie's birthday party and the school Halloween dance), as well as an elementary school dance (Brianna's ballet class Halloween party).
- Love Triangle: Nikki and MacKenzie both like Brandon. Brandon is implied to like Nikki back.
- Make Way for the Princess: After Nikki nearly gets killed trying to get through the hallway and to her locker, a path immediately clears for MacKenzie.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Chloe and Zoey are both huge nerds and both are very cute.
- Only Sane Man: Nikki is the most normal of her trio, but Brandon is by far the most normal character of them all.
- Popular Is Dumb: MacKenzie is smart enough, but Jessica (a popular girl who is a best frien to school's Alpha Bitch) isn't all that bright.
- Token Trio: Nikki (who is white), Chloe (who is Hispanic), and Zoey (who is black).
- Two-Timer Date: At the climax of the second book, Nikki tries to: hang out with Chloe and Zoey at the Halloween dance (dressed as trash bags); be Brandon's date at the Halloween dance (dressed as Juliet); and help out at Brianna's ballet class Halloween party (dressed as a giant rat). It doesn't work out very well.
- Women Are Wiser: Inverted; Brandon is the most sane character in the book.
- Zany Scheme: Usually on behalf of Chloe and Zoey. The most insane of all has to be the "run away and live in the NYC library" plan from Not So Fabulous Life.