Webcomic: Kill Six Billion Demons
Praise YISUN and raise your skinny fists to heavenKill Six Billion Demons
is a fantasy webcomic started in 2013 featuring a young woman named Allison who is suddenly wrapped up in an adventure with an angel
through an eldritch land
filled with numerous demons and gods.
Tropes used by this comic include:
- All There in the Manual: A large amount of setting info is located in the alternate sections of the site, including the Psalms and Spasms that make up significant part of the in-universe faith.
- Arc Words: "Reach Heaven through violence."
- Though it's not clearly this trope yet, since it's only been said once, it would be in keeping with the rest of the comic's themes.
- Artifact of Doom: The key-like object that is shoved into Allison's skull is apparently called a Key of Kings, and seems to have been what granted her the ability to travel to Throne, among a number of other abilities. However, it's the kind of power that can get her in a lot of trouble. She only gets away with it because she doesn't know how to use any of it.
- In addition, Allison has managed to acquire something called a "Magus Gate." What that is, and what it does, has yet to be revealed.
- Badass Creed: "Forgive me for the violence I am about to inflict."
- Bishōnen: The angel is regularly assumed to be female, but denies that he is.
- Black Magic: Although not explicitly described as such, the angel is worried that Allison has become a vattra, a practitioner of the White Art of Division and the Red Art of Dominion, which is forbidden.
- Body Horror: Allison teleports to Throne via Division magic, which visibly separates out all of her organ systems and reassembles them once she has reached her destination- skeleton first.
- Later, a more mild version: due to being fed blue demon liquor, she grows horns. The angel assures her they are merely temporary.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: And it will break down your wall and kidnap your boyfriend.
- Calling Your Attacks: "Empty Palm Vanquishes the Wicked!"
- Classical Mythology: The religion espoused in the comic appears to be a blend of Hinduism, Zen Buddhism and Valentinian Gnosticism, but with a heavy heaping of extra violence.
- Coitus Interruptus: Allison is dragged into the Throne just as she's about to have sex with her boyfriend for the first time.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: Women are treated as slaves, violence is common, and the worst crimes seem to involve angering whoever is in charge.
- Distressed Damsel: Although Allison does initially play this role, it's actually her boyfriend that gets kidnapped.
- The Everyman: Allison.
- Exposition Fairy: When not kicking ass and taking names, the angel is busy explaining the world's mythology and backstory to Allison.
- Fish out of Water: Allison is heavily reliant on her angelic companion to explain how the world works.
- God: YISUN. A being said to be the god of the Omniverse in all of dimensions. Not anymore though because YISUN committed holy suicide, tired of a circular existence in eternity.
- God Is Dead: YISUN grew weary of having an infinite existence. In the angel's words, "It was a wretched life, without meaning or perception. Imagine infinite stories to tell, Allison, and nobody to tell them to."
- Ludicrous Gibs: What else would you expect from a comic called "Kill Six Billion Demons?"
- Meaningful Name: See Names to Run Away From Really Fast below.
- The Multiverse: The story takes place in an alternate realm called The Throne, which connects thousands of other universes. 777,777 to be exact.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: The angel's full name is "82 White Chain Born in Emptiness Returns to Subdue Evil." Obviously, it is not used very often.
- Jagganoth. Jadis. Mammon. Mottom. Gog-Agog. Solomon. Incubus.
- No Woman's Land: The entire society of Throne is heavily misogynistic, with most people just assuming that Allison is the angel's concubine because they can't imagine some random woman being free and independent.
- Our Angels Are Different: The being which the main character is traveling with in the Throne is an angel, mostly in name and temperament only. Appearance-wise, they are a statuesque being, riddled with holes which emit green flames with numerous eyes in them.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: Almost any fight scene is guaranteed to be filled with gallons and gallons of blood.
- Politically Incorrect Hero: It is the duty of the angel to enforce the order of Throne, such that it exists, including all the parts that readers might find offensive.
- Side Effects Include...: Blue demon liquor can increase one's healing abilities and allow them to understand demonic speech, but it also causes people to grow horns and also a small demon inside their bodies. Which they must then eat.
- Speaking Simlish: The ascended speech sounds like this to Allison before she's stuck with the Key of Kings.
- Strange Syntax Speaker: Several of the lesser demons speak in a nigh-incomprehensible dialect that can be difficult to understand. When two have to speak to each other like this, their dialogue is subtitled.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Pretty much the entire comic- Allison is constantly bewildered by her surroundings while the angel goes about his business.