Well, things work differently around here.
Most fantasy worlds are unrealistic in some way or another, but at least they are reasonable. Wonderland is... different
. The details vary, of course, but they are invariably strange places filled with strange phenomena and populated by strange people. But they are not so far gone as to permit absolutely anything
- Wonderland still makes sense, but not that kind of sense
Many will have a theme of some sort, especially if there is An Aesop
. The Mental World
and Dream Land
are often wonderlands; there is also a certain amount of overlap with the World of Symbolism
or the Land of Faerie
A type of Eldritch Location
. Compare to Another Dimension
, which makes more conventional sense, and the World of Chaos
, which makes less
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Kamichu!: A little girl waking up one day and realizing she's a god is odd enough. The land of the gods, however, where other gods like Laserdisc God reside, is very Wonderland-like.
- The Digital World drifts into this on occasion, depending on the continuity and location.
- The 1950s strip from the Anthology Comic The Beano Pansy Potter in Wonderland.
- The Dreaming from The Sandman
- In Superman, Htrae is a Bizarro Earth, a cubic planet where things are the opposite of Earth. It's also very inconsistent due to the fact that various authors chose to focus on different aspects and also had different ideas of "opposite."
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: Although only Halloween Town and Christmas Town are shown, presumably each of the holiday towns is a themed wonderland following their own logic.
- Labyrinth: The Goblin King's kingdom has a structure (both physically and politically). Reason and logic still work there (assuming you take nothing for granted, and take everything literally). Everything that appears in that world also has a 'real-world' referent. And there are rules and laws, although those rules are -to a certain extent- set by and subject to the moods and whims of the king.
- Katamari Damacy: The sky broke, and it can be fixed by rolling a sticky ball around Earth to create replacement stars. Rolling around the world, seeing a child riding a panda bear motorcycle is not unusual.
- LittleBigPlanet: Especially owing to the user-created content and the customizable nature of the game.
- The Fairy Land of Neirutvena in Chains Of Satinav is one of these. Among other oddities, the season is determined by the orientation of a painting in the royal art gallery, the direction of the wind is determined by the large-nosed crab creature that acts as a weather vane, and the time is determined by a large peacock who lights up his plumage based on the season and the direction of the wind.
- The universe as described by quantum physics and special relativity make very little intuitive sense to us feeble-minded humans, but both systems adhere to strict mathematical premises and make internal sense.
- Although logic as it appears in dreams tends to shift erratically from moment to moment, in any given moment there is usually some underlying logical structure that the narrative of the dream is following.