Webcomic: Go Get a Roomie!
Roomie and Lillian.Go Get A Roomie
is a comedic webcomic centered around the wacky hijinx of the eponymous Roomie, a Shameless Fanservice Girl
, and her friends. These mainly consist of a gaggle of girls whom she has slept with as payment for letting her sleep over at their place
— thus her nickname. Other recurring cast members include her favorite bartender, a pair of fraternal twins named Richard and Ramona (who are, respectively, a sub and a dom), and Matt, a rather confused vanilla guy who can only look on in mild horror at her lifestyle. Soon she meets the introverted, nigh-perpetually-slumbering
Lillian, or "Lazy Tyke" as Roomie affectionately dubs her, who is far more at home in her dreamscapes and imagination than in the waking world. Lillian, who loves sleep but is utterly unconcerned with the idea of sleeping with
anyone, is perhaps the one person who has no designs upon Roomie — and, of course, Roomie becomes fascinated with her. Despite LT's halfhearted protestations, Roomie ends up becoming her steady roommate — and just as unusual for the restless Roomie as this extended period of consistent lodging, is the break in her pattern of omni-amorous unattachment. What follows is a romance of sorts as they grow closer together, and a study of the character features and flaws which have resulted in their deeply unique, and often heartwarming, personalities.
The comic is definitely NSFW
: a running gag involves Roomie's aversion to clothes, in keeping with her decidedly hippie value set. It was initially published on DeviantArt
by batlesbo (formally nana-51) in a folder of her gallery
; it was eventually moved onto its own website. Since the current strip (and hence the main page) may be NSFW, here is the first
This webcomic provides examples of the following tropes:
- Informed Ability: Ramona is often described as a dom (in contrast to her sub twin brother), but mostly ends up on the bottom in a variety of situations. Those who have managed to be "on top" of her in some way include Roomie, Gulden, WOC, and even Lillian. It may simply be a Running Gag, though it might also be an indicator that she's trying to look tougher than she is.
- In-Series Nickname: Lillian will always be "Lazy Tyke" to Roomie. Roomie probably wasn't named such by her mother.
- Just for Pun: The title of the comic is a pun on "go get a room", an expression used to communicate to a couple that their... interaction compromises the dignity of those around them.
- Just Friends: This is what Roomie prefers her relationship with Matt to be, and is all that her relationship with Lillian amounts to so far... Let's wait and see!
- Lady Killer In Love: Roomie seems to be downright enamored with Lillian. She has definitely spent more time focusing on Lazy Tyke than anyone else in the series.
- Lap Pillow: Roomie provides one for Lillian, while she tells her story.
Roomie: My lap's that comfy, huh?
Lillian: Well, it certainly isn't uncomfy.
- Loophole Abuse: Roomie is dared to be clothed for 24 hours. She then spends the night wearing only a scarf.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Roomie, whose first reaction to a spring day is "sex in the park!"
- Love You and Everybody: Almost word by word. Roomie's way of love is... complicated. Depending on how you see it, she falls somewhere between Allergic to Love and Anything That Moves.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Roomie, of the "very promiscuous, usually drunk and teasing everyone" variety, is actually a bit of a deconstruction — her larger-than-life character is shown to leave her a bit lonely deep down, and she feels guilty when people fall for her romantically because she doesn't feel able to return their affections the way they want. That in turn explains how, per this trope, she became attracted to a hikikomori type like Lillian: Lillian, unlike nearly everybody else, does not put Roomie on any sort of pedestal, instead seeing her as a(n often rather irritating) human being.
- Master of the Mixed Message:
- Milholland Relationship Moment: When Roomie feels guilty about having snuck into Lillian's bed after having been specifically told to sleep on the couch, Lillian, who had just had a dream about Roomie being the harbinger of Lillian reconnecting to the outside world, isn't angry at all.
- The Modest Orgasm: Discussed, obliquely, when Roomie and Lillian are drinking tea.note
- Mushroom Samba: Jak and his (unnamed) friend get really high at the party at Aggie's place.
- Naked Apron: Sported by Roomie, when she's baking a cake.
- No, Except Yes: Lillian answers two questions from Roomie in this form.
- Not a Morning Person: Lillian. Not really so much an afternoon, or evening person, either.
- Not What It Looks Like:
- Subverted on the second morning Lillian awakens in bed with Roomie.
Roomie: Aah, what would I give for this to be what anybody would think we're doing if they spotted us right now.
- ...and played straight when Allan walks in on his fiance showing his sister the engagement ring he gave her.
Evelyne: These are the times I feel like someone up there's making a joke out of my life.
Lillian: I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that I'd be agreeing with you.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The normally unflappable Lillian blows up at Kris, Richard and Ramona's older sister, after she overhears what sounds like Kris making a rather lewd proposition to Roomie. Turns out Kris was saying Roomie would be perfect for a particular movie role. Oops.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot:
- Oh, Matt...
- Lillian's summation to Richard and Ramona of what happened between her and Kris.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations: When Roomie is talking to Ramona and Richard about what they will do during their estrangement from their parents, and Lillian is dreaming.
- Only One Name: Every character so far, with only one exception (or two, if you count inferring her brother's last name from hers). "Roomie" is not even a name.
- Only Known by Their Nickname:
- Roomie's real name is a mystery.
- WOCnote , until a flashback names her as Manisa.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Interestingly, it's not the onlooker, but her current lover Aggie who is embarrassed by Roomie's nakedness when she answers the door.
- The Pollyanna: Roomie. Nothing can get her down. Even encountering homophobia makes her happy, since it drives lesbians closer together.
- The Promise: Aggie promises to never fall in love with Roomie. Take that as you wish.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: Turns out even Roomie is vulnerable to this, thanks to a groggy Lillian.
- Really Gets Around: Roomie's promiscuity never ceases to astonish Matt. Especially when she learns Aggie's name the next day after bedding her.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Roomie and Lillian have the personalities pat, reflected in red and blue color schemes (to the extent color features at all), including "Roomie's" red-tinted real world in contrast to Lillian's blue-tinted dream world.
- Sand In My Eyes: Immediately after WOC tells a heartwarming story about Alice, Lillian needs a tissue for a "cold".
- Sarcasm Failure: During "The Night in Furs" (Lillian's retelling of "The Knight in Rusty Armor"), the knight's irreverence isn't up to mocking The Shadow of Fear and Doubt.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: In the early strips, Roomie had a habit of getting naked whenever she wanted to be comfortable (and it takes three hours to get her back into clothes afterwards), without care of who was around. This has been dialed back now that the comic is more relationship focused.
- Shipper on Deck: Allan, for Roomie and LT.
- Shout-Out: Has its own page.
- Sleepyhead: Lillian, as mentioned before. It is heavily implied that sleep (or faked sleep) is an escape mechanism she resorts to whenever life and/or circumstances start getting uncomfortable.
- Spit Take: Matt, when flustered.
- Splash of Color: Used to portray Matt's embarrassment.
- Stepford Smiler: Lately, the more Lillian's character develops, the more Roomie wonders whether hers is going through a similar process. Recognising that it isn't affects her, which she confides in to LT, but around everyone else she keeps on smiling.
- Straight Man:
- Stunned Silence: Roomie can only manage a "Huh" when Lillian passive-aggressively shatters her world view with the news that things can change when she's not around.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Lillian's default approach towards the waking world is aloofness, but time makes it clear that she does care about the people she's with. Her confrontation with Kris brings this out in dramatic fashion.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:
- Allan has definitely never had dreams about "steamy encounters with pink unicorns and dragons with rows of penis on its back."
- WOC did not dream about dragons after reading Tolkien books all night.
- That Came Out Wrong: At the end of Chapter 18, after Lillian invites Roomie to sleep in her bed and Roomie promises to "be good in bed".
Roomie: Sorry! Double meaning not meant! Joke! Hah!
- Transsexual: Jak, at one time known as Julia, much to Roomie's shock.
- Twin Switch: Richard and Ramona do this in order to seduce each others teachers into giving them better grades.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: As wished by Guilden.
- The Unreveal: Roomie's had a couple:
- When she's asked (somewhat obliquely) in an interview whether she likes men, she purposefully misinterprets the question. When she wakes up having apparently had a threesome with two men, she objects of the straighter one, "he's... Allan!"
- She's hinted to LT that she was traumatized as a child by the death of a friend. However, she doesn't want to talk about it right now.
- Unusual Euphemism:
- Visual Pun: It's revealed Lillian is still unconscious when it's showed that she's talking to talking screws, who tell her "you're screwed."
- Wham Line: Roomie, happy and peppy Roomie, drops the somber bombshell about her past.
Roomie: My best friend died when I was 9.
- What Would X Do?: During the Truth or Dare game at Jo's bar, Lillian is given a choice by Ramona: name her first sexual partner, if any, or make a sexual innuendo on the spot. She manages the latter by channeling Roomie.
- When She Smiles: Lillian laughing has quite an effect on Richard and Ramona.
Richard: You're pretty as fuck!
- Will They or Won't They?: Roomie and Lillian. Regardless of whether or not they ever hook up, just about anyone that knows them (especially Richard and Ramona) already sees them as a couple.
- With Catlike Tread: "Ninja style!"