Webcomic: Go Get a Roomie!
Roomie and Lillian.Go Get A Roomie
is a comedic webcomic centered around the wacky hijinx of the eponymous Roomie, a Shameless Fanservice Girl
, and her friends. These mainly consist of a gaggle of girls whom she has slept with as payment for letting her sleep over at their place
— thus her nickname. Other recurring cast members include her favorite bartender, a pair of fraternal twins named Richard and Ramona (who are, respectively, a sub and a dom), and a rather confused vanilla guy who can only look on in mild horror at her lifestyle. Soon she meets the introverted, nigh-perpetually-slumbering
Lillian, or "Lazy Tyke" as Roomie affectionately dubs her, who is far more at home in her dreamscapes and imagination than in the waking world. Lillian, who loves sleep but is utterly unconcerned with the idea of sleeping with
anyone, is perhaps the one person who has no designs upon Roomie — and thus, Roomie becomes fascinated with her. Despite LT's halfhearted protestations, Roomie ends up becoming her steady roommate — and just as unusual for the restless Roomie as this extended period of consistent lodging, is the break in her pattern of omni-amorous unattachment. What follows is a romance of sorts as they grow closer together, and a study of the character features and flaws which have resulted in their deeply unique, and often heartwarming, personalities.
The comic is definitely NSFW
: a running gag involves Roomie's aversion to clothes, in keeping with her decidedly hippie value set. It was initially published on DeviantArt
by batlesbo (formally nana-51) in a folder of her gallery
; it was eventually moved onto its own website. Since the current strip (and hence the main page) may be NSFW, here is the first
This webcomic provides examples of the following tropes:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Even dry-witted Lillian gets a chuckle out of Roomie making her eggs that look like boobs.
- The Alcoholic/Lady Drunk: Roomie, who despite having what seems to be a pretty decent alcohol tolerance winds up drunk on an astonishingly regular basis (including a highly suggestive ode to beer).
- Allergic to Love: Played for Drama with Roomie, whose turbulent lifestyle inevitably causes anguish to anyone who has serious feelings for her.
- Art Evolution: The art has evolved big time from the early strips.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Lillian apparently looks good as a guy, at least according to Ramona and her imagination.
- Bare Your Midriff: Many of Lillian's dream outfits, in stark contrast to her real clothes.
- BBW: Roomie nicknames her chubby friend Guilden because, like Guilden Draak beer, she's "Dark, strong, irresistible, and wet".
- Beneath the Mask: Apparently, being as loved and idolized by everyone as she is gets a little suffocating for Roomie. It's part of the reason she's so drawn to Lillian.
- Bi the Way:
- Allan, definitely.
- Possibly Roomie, but this is subject to a series of Unreveals, and she's only been seen with women.
- Bishōnen: Richard
- Brick Joke:
- The first time Lillian meets Roomie while being awake, her brother refers to Roomie as her "bed buddy." Later, when Roomie introduces Lillian to WOC, the latter asks if they are friends or 'bed buddies', which leads to a slightly confused answer.
- Early on Aggie tells Lillian about Roomie's "weakspot" ("Her back is like a huge cli-" "Clicking button that turns her on and off?" "One more than the other, but you get the idea!"). Later, when Roomie is singing and wakes Lillian up, Lillan touches her back, saying "Off". Still later, WOC tries to talk to Roomie while giving her a back massage.
- A few hours after Roomie found a "Little Rooster" in Lillian's drawer, Allan comments on his sister not owning any "toys".
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Lillian has a tendency to collapse on the spot not long after ingesting even the smallest amount of alcohol. Well... an even greater tendency than usual, that is.
- Catapult Nightmare: Happens when Lillian's shadow of negative emotions impales her in her dream.
- Cats Are Snarkers: Lillian's cat is very much like a muted form of her owner.
- Cerebus Syndrome: After the madcap opening act, and early Fish out of Water strips of Lillian adapting to Roomie's world, the love story becomes both more prominent and more muted, shunting Roomie's manic lifestyle to the side, especially after pressure from the advertisers reduced the frequency of nudity somewhat.
- Completely Missing the Point: That, or Roomie is just good at Obfuscating Stupidity here.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Roomie's punishment to someone not willing to wake up is covering them up with love bites.
- Cooldown Hug: Roomie gives one to Matt to resolve some of the tension that built up between them by strip 24.
- Crazy-Prepared: Roomie has left some clothes in peoples' places all over town, so no matter where she sleeps she already has something to wear when she wakes up. Not that she minds just going naked instead.
- Crossover: Roomie makes a brief stop by Woody After Hours.
- Deconstruction: Roomie is gradually turning into one of the Mary Sue archetype by recognising that, because of all her many perceived perfections, she isn't growing and developing as a human being in the same way that Lillian is. And, while LT is there to comfort her when she starts having these doubts by effectively saying that she's fine the way she is, it's very telling that Roomie doesn't believe her.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: In time Lillian finally warms up to Roomie, although she maintains her low-key, deadpan way of reacting to the shenanigans around her.
- Deadpan Snarker: Lillian, full stop. It comes through when she's making up stories as well, as when she's telling a story about The Little One:
Lillian [narrating]: It considered everything it did as fabulous. Even getting its butt kicked.
- Death Glare: Don't forget to say please when ordering at Jo's.
- Dismissing a Compliment: Here (lampshaded in the next strip):
Okay, let's get this straight. When I say something to you, or anyone else for that matter, I say it because I mean
it. You. Are. Beautiful.
There, get used to it. Lillian:
You lost me at "straight
- Distracted By The Shiny:
- Roomie stops a more serious conversation about Lillian mid-sentence upon inadvertently activating a touch lamp.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Roomie doesn't like to wear anything, but even when she's otherwise fully clothed she still doesn't like to wear shoes.
(pointing down at Roomie's bare feet) Aren't you forgetting something? Roomie:
I am, aren't I? (comes back in the next panel wearing a headband
- Double Entendre: Roomie needs approximately three seconds to come up with one. Comes back as a Brick Joke when, at a later point, Lillian is given the option in a game of "Truth or Dare" to either tell the truth of whom her "first" was, or make up a double entendre on the spot, with a time limit on three seconds to make up her mind. She decides to go for the "think like Roomie" approach and delivers a combination of both just as the three second time limit expires.
- Double Meaning Title: Chapter 13 is titled "Your Song". It begins with Allan's phone, which has the Elton John track as its ringtone. It ends with Lillian talking to Allan about Roomie's suggestion that she write stories based on her dreams, and Allan saying, "It's your song, Lillian. Now you can dance to it."
- Dream Within a Dream: After getting dream shanked, Lillian wakes up...next to a topless Evelyne. Who becomes a demon.
Lillian: Waking up from nightmare: Round two.
- Drunk on Milk: Roomie apparently gets herself drunk on water. Truth in Television, in that particular types of alcoholic beverages (red wine being a classic example) will leave alcohol in a person's liver; a sudden intake of liquid will thus flush this alcohol out, causing intoxication. Similar effects can occur in heavy drinkers.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: Roomie briefly entertained the thought of thoroughly ravaging Lillian in her sleep, but settled for giving her a kiss on the cheek instead. D'aaawh.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Lillians nicknamed "Lazy Tyke" by Roomie. It takes only moments for this to get twisted into "Lazy Dyke".
- Even the Girls Want Her: Roomie seems to inspire this wherever she goes. One character even explained that even though she is straight for the most part, she does make exceptions for shy little virgins who have never known a woman's touch... Roomie is an exception to that exception.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: No, not the actual barkeep (whose name is Jo), but Roomie herself. As explained in strip 3, it's a short for "Room-mate". Her real name has not been revealed so far.
- Face Palm: It's not like Matt has much of a choice about it.
- Freudian Slip:
- While the Double Entendres are being flung left and right, this is the only one that seems to pass as unintentional.
- Lampshaded in one strip, but it is quite possible that the "slip" was intentional.
- Flat "What.": Allan's reaction when Lillian called him up to yell at him was not what she expected.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: As Matt puts it, watching half-naked girls is more interesting than trees. Also, arguably the whole point of the comic.
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have: WOC being a little older does nothing to deter Roomie finding her attractive.
- Half-Identical Twins: Ramona and Richard, to the point that they can each pass as the other twin.
- Het Is Ew: Roomie jokes about being heterosexually infected by Matt's kiss.
- Hikikomori: Lillian, who sleeps the better part of the day and barely interacts with anyone, which is why her brother set her up with Roomie in the first place.
- Hurricane of Euphemisms: Jo's attempt to explain to Lillian that Roomie is in the back room engaging in lesbian sex.
- Hypocritical Humor: Ramona seems to make a habit of this when bantering with her twin brother Richard. For example:
[Dope Slapping Richard
]: You're doing it again. Richard:
Doing what? Ramona: Imagining
things without people's permission. Richard:
You do it as much as I do. Ramona:
Of course I don't. I'm minutes
older than you and much more mature.
[in Ramona's Imagine Spot
Now lads. You may stop fighting over your mistress. There's enough of me for everyone. Lillian:
- I Am Not Pretty: Lillian thinks she isn't. Roomie begs to differ.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Roomie manages to save Matt from her three odd friends with "The power of BEWBS!"
- I Know Kung-Fu: Aikido actually.
- Informed Ability: Ramona is often described as a dom (in contrast to her sub twin brother), but mostly ends up on the bottom in a variety of situations. Those who have managed to be "on top" of her in some way include Roomie, Gulden, WOC, and even Lillian. It may simply be a Running Gag, though it might also be an indicator that she's trying to look tougher than she is.
- In-Series Nickname: Lillian will always be "Lazy Tyke" to Roomie. Roomie probably wasn't named such by her mother.
- Just for Pun: The title of the comic is a pun on "go get a room", an expression used to communicate to a couple that their... interaction compromises the dignity of those around them.
- Just Friends: This is what Roomie prefers her relationship with Matt to be, and is all that her relationship with Lillian amounts to so far... Let's wait and see!
- Lady Killer In Love: Roomie seems to be downright enamored with Lillian. She has definitely spent more time focusing on Lazy Tyke than anyone else in the series.
- Lap Pillow: Roomie provides one for Lillian, while she tells her story.
Roomie: My lap's that comfy, huh?
Lillian: Well, it certainly isn't uncomfy.
- Loophole Abuse: Roomie is dared to be clothed for 24 hours. She then spends the night wearing only a scarf.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Roomie, whose first reaction to a spring day is "sex in the park!"
- Love You and Everybody: Almost word by word. Roomie's way of love is... complicated. Depending on how you see it, she falls somewhere between Allergic to Love and Anything That Moves.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Roomie, of the "very promiscuous, usually drunk and teasing everyone" variety, is actually a bit of a deconstruction — her larger-than-life character is shown to leave her a bit lonely deep down, and she feels guilty when people fall for her romantically because she doesn't feel able to return their affections the way they want. That in turn explains how, per this trope, she became attracted to a hikikomori type like Lillian: Lillian, unlike nearly everybody else, does not put Roomie on any sort of pedestal, instead seeing her as a(n often rather irritating) human being.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Roomie seems absolutely dumbfounded that some people may misunderstand her sexual antics as anything serious.
- Milholland Relationship Moment: When Roomie feels guilty about having snuck into Lillian's bed after having been specifically told to sleep on the couch, Lillian, who had just had a dream about Roomie being the harbinger of Lillian reconnecting to the outside world, isn't angry at all.
- The Modest Orgasm: Discussed, obliquely, when Roomie and Lillian are drinking tea.note
- Mushroom Samba: Jak and his (unnamed) friend get really high at the party at Aggie's place.
- Naked Apron: Sported by Roomie, when she's baking a cake.
- No, Except Yes: Lillian answers two questions from Roomie in this form.
- Not a Morning Person: Lillian. Not really so much an afternoon, or evening person, either.
- Not What It Looks Like:
- Subverted on the second morning Lillian awakens in bed with Roomie.
Roomie: Aah, what would I give for this to be what anybody would think we're doing if they spotted us right now.
- ...and played straight when Allan walks in on his fiance showing his sister the engagement ring he gave her.
Evelyne: These are the times I feel like someone up there's making a joke out of my life.
Lillian: I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that I'd be agreeing with you.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The normally unflappable Lillian blows up at Kris, Richard and Ramona's older sister, after she overhears what sounds like Kris making a rather lewd proposition to Roomie. Turns out Kris was saying Roomie would be perfect for a particular movie role. Oops.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot:
- Oh, Matt...
- Lillian's summation to Richard and Ramona of what happened between her and Kris.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations: When Roomie is talking to Ramona and Richard about what they will do during their estrangement from their parents, and Lillian is dreaming.
- Only One Name: Every character so far, with only one exception (or two, if you count inferring her brother's last name from hers). "Roomie" is not even a name.
- Only Known by Their Nickname:
- Roomie's real name is a mystery.
- WOCnote , until a flashback names her as Manisa.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Interestingly, it's not the onlooker, but her current lover Aggie who is embarrassed by Roomie's nakedness when she answers the door.
- The Pollyanna: Roomie. Nothing can get her down. Even encountering homophobia makes her happy, since it drives lesbians closer together.
- The Promise: Aggie promises to never fall in love with Roomie. Take that as you wish.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: Turns out even Roomie is vulnerable to this, thanks to a groggy Lillian.
- Really Gets Around: Roomie's promiscuity never ceases to astonish Matt. Especially when she learns Aggie's name the next day after bedding her.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Roomie and Lillian have the personalities pat, reflected in red and blue color schemes (to the extent color features at all), including "Roomie's" red-tinted real world in contrast to Lillian's blue-tinted dream world.
- Sand In My Eyes: Sure, Lillian. A "cold".
- Sarcasm Failure: During "The Night in Furs" (Lillian's retelling of "The Knight in Rusty Armor"), the knight's irreverence isn't up to mocking The Shadow of Fear and Doubt.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: In the early strips, Roomie had a habit of getting naked whenever she wanted to be comfortable (and it takes three hours to get her back into clothes afterwards), without care of who was around. This has been dialed back now that the comic is more relationship focused.
- Shipper on Deck: Allan, for Roomie and LT.
- Shout-Out: Has its own page.
- Sleepyhead: Lillian, as mentioned before. It is heavily implied that sleep (or faked sleep) is an escape mechanism she resorts to whenever life and/or circumstances start getting uncomfortable.
- Spit Take: Matt, when flustered.
- Splash of Color: Used to portray Matt's embarrassment.
- Stepford Smiler: Lately, the more Lillian's character develops, the more Roomie wonders whether hers is going through a similar process. Recognising that it isn't affects her, which she confides in to LT, but around everyone else she keeps on smiling.
- Straight Man:
- Stunned Silence: Roomie can only manage a "Huh" when Lillian passive-aggressively shatters her world view with the news that things can change when she's not around.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Lillian's default approach towards the waking world is aloofness, but time makes it clear that she does care about the people she's with. Her confrontation with Kris brings this out in dramatic fashion.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:
- Allan has definitely never had dreams about "steamy encounters with pink unicorns and dragons with rows of penis on its back."
- WOC did not dream about dragons after reading Tolkien books all night.
- That Came Out Wrong: At the end of Chapter 18, after Lillian invites Roomie to sleep in her bed and Roomie promises to "be good in bed".
Roomie: Sorry! Double meaning not meant! Joke! Hah!
- Transsexual: Jak, at one time known as Julia, much to Roomie's shock.
- Twin Switch: Richard and Ramona do this in order to seduce each others teachers into giving them better grades.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: As wished by Guilden.
- The Unreveal: When Roomie is asked (somewhat obliquely) in an interview whether she likes men, she purposefully misinterprets the question. When she wakes up having apparently had a threesome with two men, she objects of the straighter one, "he's... Allan!"
- Unusual Euphemism:
- Visual Pun: It's revealed Lillian is still unconscious when it's showed that she's talking to talking screws, who tell her "you're screwed."
- When She Smiles: Lillian laughing has quite an effect on Richard and Ramona.
Richard: You're pretty as fuck!
- What Would X Do?: During the Truth or Dare game at Jo's bar, Lillian is given a choice by Ramona: name her first sexual partner, if any, or make a sexual innuendo on the spot. She manages the latter by channeling Roomie.
- Will They or Won't They?: Roomie and Lillian. Regardless of whether or not they ever hook up, just about anyone that knows them (especially Richard and Ramona) already sees them as a couple.
- With Catlike Tread: "Ninja style!"