In a nutshell.
The sun is setting. Two character gaze longingly into each other's eyes.
The camera shifts to a profiled two shot, with the setting sun shimmering between them in the background. Their faces now silhouettes, the characters move closer, slowly covering the sun until at last... their lips meet.
A fairly common kiss, combining the power of the sun
with the Power of Love
. Variations include kissing in front of the moon or some other light source, or holding each other without kissing. Expect lots and lots of Lens Flare
Interesting note: From a lighting standpoint, when the actors are backlit their faces are obscured or silhouetted. Once they kiss, they block out the light coming through, meaning the camera can finally see their faces. A kiss turning shadows into people... There's something symbolic in that.
Compare Full Moon Silhouette
. Sometimes overlaps with Beach Kiss
. A subtrope of The Big Damn Kiss
- In the final episode of F-Zero: Legend of Falcon, Ryu Suzaku (Rick Wheeler) meets his girlfriend Haruka Misaki at the same city park where he planned to propose to her one hundred and fifty years ago. She happily accepts the ring and the two kiss blocking the sun.
- Gwen and Arthur's first kiss in Merlin. Even those who dislike the ship are forced to admit that it's a beautiful, beautiful kiss. Happens again when Arthur proposes for the second time.
- In Pushing Daisies, Ned and Chuck do this in a flashback to when they were kids. It's adorable.
- The Monkees episode "One Man Shy" has this trope (Peter and Girl of the Week, Valerie) during one of the romps to "I'm a Believer."
- The Rose/Doctor kiss in the Doctor Who episode "The Parting of the Ways". Bonus points for having the freakin' time vortex providing the background light.
- In the Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Dot and Hugh at the end of Ruddy Gore.
- In Primeval, Cutter and Claudia have this in episode 5 of Series 1. It's a much-awaited moment and arguably one of the best in the series.
- Barry and Iris do this for their first kiss in The Flash