We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Works based entirely around featuring forgotten and abandoned sections of the canon and going beyond A Day in the Limelight
but making an entire Ensemble Cast
of Ascended Extra
/ Ensemble Darkhorse
Compare Team Up Series
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Pokémon Chronicles, a Spin-Off of the Pokémon anime centering around characters that had been Put on a Bus, including Misty, Tracey, Richie, and various One Shot Characters.
- The various gaiden manga series for Fist of the North Star are these, with different miniseries for Raoh, Toki, Rei, Jagi, and Juza, currently.
- Watchmen was originally supposed to star a team of Charlton Comics superheroes, though that plan was cancelled when it was decided to integrate said characters into the DC Universe at large.
- Marvel Comics' The Defenders, for most of its versions.
- DC's The Outsiders too.
- DC's Gotham Central focuses on the Gotham City Police Department with only cameo appearances by Batman, the Joker, etc.
- Archie's Sonic Universe, which focuses on anyone not named Sonic the Hedgehog (and even then, he can take center stage!) and allows for storylines that can't be fit into the main comic to be addressed.
- Transformers: More than Meets the Eye follows the exploits of G1 characters who have been underused or relegated to the background in most continuities.
- Smallville. Oh so very much. The biggest one is probably making Green Arrow a main character. Many, many episodes focuses on a guest star, reaching and all time high after season eight, among them Perry White ("Perry"), Bart Allen ("Run"), Aquaman ("Aqua"), Cyborg ("Cyborg"), Mxyzptlk ("Jinx"), Shelby ("Krypto"), Lucy Lane ("Lucy"), Dinah Lance ("Siren"), Zor-El and Lara ("Lara"), Plastique ("Plastique"), Legion of Super-Heroes plus Persuader ("Legion"), Bruno Mannheim ("Stiletto"), Livewire, Parasite and Neutron ("Injustice"), Roulette ("Roulette"), Metallo ("Metallo"), Wonder Twins ("Idol"), Justice Society of America ("Absolute Justice"), Silver Banshee ("Escape"), Maxwell Lord ("Charade"), Conner Kent ("Scion"), Female Furies ("Abandoned"), Ultraman ("Luthor"), Booster Gold and Blue Beetle ("Booster"), as well as cameos of Captain Cold, Solomon Grundy and Black Manta in "Prophecy".
- Arguably Noel's Christmas Presents is the Trope Codifier for this on live-action TV, not to mention its Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which, among other services to the DC Rogues Gallery, made a Memetic Badass out of Aquaman.
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy tried this with "Underfist" starring Irwin, Hoss Delgado, General Skarr, Jeff the Spider, and Fred Fredburger. It could only become a movie and somehow was called the series finale.
- Justice League Unlimited gave plenty of screen-time to minor and B-Level DC Heroes, with Character Focus on Captain Atom, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Huntress and The Question, and plenty A Day in the Limelight episodes.
- The Simpsons episode "22 Short Films About Springfield" was the Stealth Pilot for a Spin-Off that would have done this to the residents of Springfield. The idea ultimately fell through, but viewers got a good episode out of it, showing that The Simpsons doesn't always focus on Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie.
- The Cleveland Show was this for Family Guy character, Cleveland Brown, who was put out of the spotlight after his son was Brother Chucked and his wife, Loretta, divorced him (that, and the fact that Mike Henry [the voice of Cleveland Brown] had a lot of good ideas for Family Guy episodes centered on Cleveland, but they were rejected). The show also had jokes about other Family Guy characters wanting their own spin-off (on the first episode, the last line before the show focuses on Cleveland is Stewie yelling, "What the hell? He's getting his own show?!" and seasons one and two had some throwaway jokes about a possible spin-off centering on Quagmire, which, given his highly sexual nature, would piss off a lot of censors and drive away a lot of conservative viewers and sponsors).