Video Game: Captain Rainbow
Captain Rainbow is a Nintendo
title developed by the same people who brought you Chibi-Robo
. It appears to borrow heavily from Clover Studio's games, especially Viewtiful Joe
The main character is Nick, a television Tokusatsu
action hero whose popularity is waning. To renew his vigor, he goes to the magical Minmin Island where wishes are granted. There he finds a host of obscure and forgotten Nintendo characters, most of them down on their luck
and seeking to have their wishes granted as well. Nick transforms into Captain Rainbow and uses his Yo-Yo and stylish action moves to solve puzzles and help out the islanders.
One might find interesting the fact that after a few years a game about an isolated land of obscure and forgotten Nintendo characters, a new Disney game with similar themes was released.
After years of hiatus, a fan translation site Kirameki
have been now developing an English and Italian fan translation patch for the game.
Provides examples of:
- Ascended Extra: Prior to to this game, Tracy, Ossan, and the Famicom soldiers were a minor NPC, an Expy of Mario, and generic infantry units respectively.
- Captain Superhero
- Formerly Fit: Little Mac; one of the player's goals is to reverse this.
- Gag Boobs: Tracy
- Kansai Regional Accent: Very unexpected for her character and appearance, Hikari speaks this way.
- Kick the Dog: Devil has Nick attack Lip's pet Piranha Plant, and later he himself has Hikari make him a cake only to throw it back in her face.
- Killer Yoyo: The Captain's means of offense.
- Lucky Charms Title: Captain★Rainbow.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: In the vein of Super Smash Bros., except most of the characters are the kind that are too obscure to appear as anything more than a trophy.
- Only Sane Man: Aside from her accent and appearance, Hikari's the most down to Earth person of the cast.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Ossan uses a chemical to eliminate the weeds in the garden, but it pollutes a nearby lake and kills the fish in it as well. This prompts Mappo to arrest him.
- You know those stars that you've been using to grant people's wishes? They're actually the remains of dead Mimims. And every time someone leaves the island, the Mimims die without somebody to support them. And if that wasn't enough, the Shadow creatures gain more power each time to the point where they start destroying the island and anyone left on it.
- Not as You Know Them: Everyone's down on their luck, but Little Mac has really let himself go.
- Plot Allergy: Despite loving flowers, Lip is allergic to them and wears a mask to get around it. When shes loses it and winds up turning her house into a monster because of her allergies, she and Nick retrieve a cure from Tracy's house.
- Spiritual Successor: To Chibi-Robo and Giftpia, Skip's other games.
- Stylistic Suck: Every location, item, and character has a very uneven design. This is especially noticeable with characters from previous Skip games such as Mappo from Giftpia and Drake Redcrest from Chibi-Robo.
- Token Evil Teammate: Devil of course.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Birdo, who is very clearly a female transgender dinosaur in this game.
- Transsexual: As said she's transgender. Though as hinted in the Mario games she may be post-op.