"I've... never touched an ungloved hand before."An Accidental Hand Hold occurs when Alice and Bob reach for the same item and find themselves holding hands instead. This can lead to Alice and Bob instantly letting go, pretending the incident never happened or letting go in disgust with A or B looking sad. Sometimes, Alice and Bob blush, knowing that they're holding hands, but don't act on their feelings. If they're lucky, Alice and Bob can turn to each other, before leaning in and kissing.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Hayate the Combat Butler, this happens twice between Hayate and Hinagiku. Once when he is having dinner at her place and staying there for a few days and both are nervous (being alone as Yukiji is late) and try to make tea, winding up clasping hands over the tea pot. They both blush heavily and pause for a minute before Hayate jumps back and babbles about it being an "uncontrollable attraction". The second time happened when Hayate reached for the armrest between them and found himself holding Hina's hand instead at the movies on their first date.
- Peter Parker and Mary Jane do this in Ultimate Spider-Man.
Film — Animated
- In Chicken Little, Chicken Little and Abby are watching the Movie Within a Movie when a romantic part comes up. In the background, you hear movie Little and movie Abby exclaiming things like, "Oh, Ace!" and "Oh, Abby!", while Chicken Little and Abby slowly scoot closer to the tub of popcorn. Eventually, they hold hands, with Chicken Little looking very satisfied and Abby sighing in content.
- This happens between Wallace and Wendolene in Wallace & Gromit: A Close Shave.
- In Chicken Run, Rocky and Ginger are sitting together on the roof of a coop and their wings accidentally touch, which leads to awkward chuckling.
- On the "Pomp and Circumstance" segment of Fantasia 2000, Donald and Daisy, each of whom thought the other had died, reunite when they both reach for the same locket.
Film — Live-Action
- In the film Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Hermione grabbed Ron's hand in a moment of panic when Harry was approaching the hippogriff Buckbeak. They both realized what they were doing and Hermione quickly let go while shooting him a "don't say a word" look while Ron looked embarrassed and awkward.
- Li Mu Bai touched Shu Lien's hand when she was passing him a cup of tea in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The two of them throughout the movie had been having Can't Spit It Out issues with everyone encouraging them to act on their feelings. This trope was subverted where after Shu Lien set down the tea, Mu Bai reached for her hand and pressed it gently against his cheek.
- A gross but funny version occurs in the film The Dictator when the title character and his love interest find themselves accidentally holding hands... while said hands are inside of a pregnant woman during an attempted delivery.
Live Action TV
- In the How I Met Your Mother episode "Oh Honey", Ted's passing a bottle of ketchup to Zoey but drops it when their hands touch, due to his previously unknown love for her.
- In The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Zack and Max accidentally hold hand when they reach for the same slice of cake.
- In The Mindy Project, Mindy and Danny accidentally grab hands during some turbulence on their return flight after a business trip. When the turbulence is over, Mindy lets go, but Danny grabs her hand back.
- In Red String, Miharu and Makoto brush hands while reaching into the same snack bowl. They then embark on a hot and heavy make-out session.
- In an episode of Regular Show, Rigby reaches inside the popcorn bowl and picks up Eileen's hand by mistake. Eileen smiles slightly, but Rigby quickly lets go of it and turns away from her.
- The Simpsons: When Homer gets the entire town together to form the world's largest human pyramid, it comes crashing down early because Jimbo notices that his and Kearney's hands are touching. They both instinctively pull away, causing the collapse.
- Samurai Jack and Ashi accidently held hands while fighting the tigers on a large desert creature.