Want to woo your love-interest, but lack the moves to do a Dance of Romance
? No problem, so long as you have wings, magic, superpowers, a pet dragon, or some other method of getting up in the atmosphere. Just whisk your love interest into your arms and take off. As you hold her close and float over gorgeous scenic vistas
, the two of you will bond like never before. You may even get to share True Love's Kiss
Not to be confused with Free-Fall Romance
, where the flight part is dismissed entirely and the lovers succumb to gravity during their intimate moment.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In ElfQuest Skywise is falling for Aroree anyway, but their romance is strengthened when Aroree takes him for a ride on her giant bird.
- X-Men took this trope to a extreme when Angel had sex with Husk in mid air in front of her mother, Nightcrawler, and several other people.
- Green Lantern has a flashback scene where Hal takes Carol up in an old trainer/stunt plane.
- Pick a couple, any couple, in the Harry Potter fandom and there will be at least 100 fics that feature a romantic broom ride.
Film — Animation
- Aladdin: The "A Whole New World" sequence with Aladdin and Jasmine on the magic carpet is perhaps the most famous instance of this trope.
- In How to Train Your Dragon, Astrid's first ride on Toothless turns into this for her and Hiccup after Toothless decides to play nice.
- The Rescuers: Flying on the back of an albatross brings Bernard and Bianca closer together, but it takes until the sequel for Bernard to confess his feelings. Which is done on the back of an eagle.
- Mega Mind: Subverted by the actual villain (Titan). He thinks saving his girlfriend will be cool, so he throws her out the window and dives to rescue her... then lets her fall again just so he can "save" her again. What a giant douche!
- Blu and Jewel at the end of Rio.
- Tarzan and Jane take a romantic ride swinging high on vines during the "Strangers Like Me" number.
- Dusty and Ishani in Planes. Given that both air aircraft, both are flying under their own power.
- Subverted in that Ishani isn't actually romantically interested in Dusty (yet...); she's using the flight as a chance to talk to Dusty and give him racing advice which is bad bordering on suicidal - following the railroad tracks rather than climbing over the Himalayas. Rusty follows the advice anyway, flying through the railroad tunnel, a maneuver he and only one other racer (who was not present) had wingspan short enough to acomplish. She has a change of heart when he turns up at the next stop in first place, and almost having killed himself to get there.
Film — Live Action
Live Action Television
- In Smallville, Warrior, Warrior Angel and Chloe Sullivan has a small one, which is clearly a homage to some of the flights between Superman and Lois Lane in the films.
- Super Mario Galaxy: Mario and Peach have such a moment after he delivers an epic beatdown to Bowser at the end. He catches her as she falls from Bowser Jr.'s airship and whisks her away with the final Grand Star.
- Link and Zelda fly on their Loftwings together in the beginning of Skyward Sword, with Zelda about to say something important before she gets hurtled to the surface world by a tornado.
- Kevin & Kell has a Funny Animal variation: Fenton the bat wins over Lindesfarne by "dancing" with her in the air.
- In the beginning of Dangerously Chloe, while Teddy and Chloe are on the run and confused, she embraces him and takes a jump-start. The guy who didn't yet have a good look of his gorgeous "girlfriend" immediately loses it. Even more than before, that is.
Teddy: Ah! Aha! Ahaha! We-we're flying! You're flying! How are we flying?!
Chloe: I have wings, dummy!
Teddy: That's... Th-that's amazing! You're amazing!