A trailer hook that exploits Shipping
for all its worth, used mostly in children's shows. This is a much more merciful way to attract attention than Tonight Someone Dies
, though it usually falls victim to one of two problems with trailers:
Hey, Ain't No Rule
that says you can't tease the shippers
who haven't learned they should Never Trust a Trailer
Live Action Television
- Trailers for the 2009 reboot of Star Trek seemed to imply a steamy and passionate sex scene between Kirk and Uhura, however, all it ended up being was an Academy hook up between Kirk and an Orion girl, which Kirk didn't even get to consummate.
- The Grand Finale of Neds Declassified School Survival Guide: As if no one could see the Last Minute Hook Up coming from two seasons away.
- iCarly: Trailers teased a potential kiss between Sam and Freddie for the episode iTwins. iSaved Your Life didn't bother teasing a potential Carly/Freddie, and showing them actually kissing. Also done that way with Griffin and Carly for iDate A Bad Boy. Melanie and Freddie in iTwins showed their kiss, but teased the idea that Melanie was fake and didn't exist and that Freddie was actually kissing Sam.
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: A strange sort of anti-Ship Tease, as it showed Elliot kissing someone else besides Olivia, but the relationship never went anywhere.
- The very last scene of the very last episode of Gilmore Girls shows Luke and Lorelei kissing, which would have been the touching resolution to the suspenseful season-long Will They or Won't They? arc. Except that they'd been showing it in the previews for weeks.
- The teaser for the Stargate SG-1 episode "Grace". The kiss turned out to be an Indulgent Fantasy Segue within a hallucination.
- The tease for the Christmas episode of Bones told us that Booth and Brennan may kiss (with the camera slow motioning them closer together) which would have ruined the long waited for moment, but it did NOT tell us the conditions of the kiss in which Booth and Brennan were coerced into doing it under the mistletoe by someone else. Though after that nudge they did stay lip-locked for a fair bit longer than the mistletoe dictated.
- Another trailer showed the two actors naked in bed but the situation turned out to be part of a novel written by Dr. Brennan/Booth's hallucination while in a coma.
- A trailer for the hundredth episode in Australia showed both kisses from the episode, one of which was a flashback, the other in which Brennan cuts it off - but of course they didn't show this. In the US, they just showed them leaning in.
- Doctor Who has done this in its season trailers for (new) seasons two through six, with a different companion each time. It's a good lesson in why you should Never Trust a Trailer. Rose was possessed, the Doctor snogged Martha as part of a plan to distract the Judoon, Donna was giving his system a "shock", and Amy was trying to have Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex which he was emphatically uninterested in. River was the only trailer-kiss that turned out to be completely genuine.
- Previews for LOST's fourth season finale showed Sawyer and Kate about to kiss, and the writers promised a major kiss. However, the Sawyer/Kate kiss was only one of two; the major kiss turned out to be Desmond and Penny.
- Nickelodeon advertised "Kisses and Misses Night" one Valentine's Day, a stream of new episodes of various shows in which all of them fit this trope.
- House had one of these trailers during Season 5. Clip here. It was, indeed, All Just A Hallucination.
- A CSI: Crime Scene Investigation promo teased fans of Grissom and Sara by calling them by their fandom name, calling it "The moment GSR fans have been waiting for".
- Make It Or Break It had this with a couple of episodes in its Second Season, notably the episode "Rock Bottom" where Payson, at the peak of her crush, kisses her coach Sasha.
- In every Skins promo for Naomi's episode in series three, the scene of Cook and Naomi making out was played up as though they were going to have sex. Needless to say, they didn't — but Naomi and Emily did end up having sex.
- And then there's the aftermath of Emily's S4 episode, which left Naomi and Emily's relationship in serious trouble; the preview for the next episode, Cook's, showed Naomi and Cook making out again. It was an entirely platonic between friends thing and was immediately followed by a Ship Sinking.
- The show did this for season two episode "Blame It On The Alcohol". Needless to say, both characters were drunk, but it did have a (somewhat controversial and ultimately meaningless) effect on one character for the rest of the episode.
- Surprisingly, they did not do it for the famous Kurt/Blaine kiss in "Original Song," which undoubtedly contributed to the maniacal excitement that followed.
- Castle had a pic of the kiss from "Knockdown" doing rounds in every media 7 weeks before the airing.
- The X-Files:
- The promos for "Triangle" played up a Mulder/Scully kiss, though in reality, the kiss was between Mulder and a hallucinated past version of Scully, not Scully herself. When Mulder and Scully do kiss for the first time, in "Millenium", the kiss is never mentioned in the promos at all.
- Trailers for the first film tease the audience with a shot implying that Mulder and Scully kiss, though in the movie, they get interrupted just before lips touch.
- Fans of The Avengers who love the palpable Will They or Won't They? tension between Steed and Peel probably are all too thrilled when they pull out their DVD of the episode "Who's Who?" for the first time and see an image of their favorite couple engaged in not just one of Emma's playful pecks, but a full on sexy makeout session. Trick is "Who's Who" is a body swap episode. Emma and Steed have their minds in the bodies of the villains and are tied up in a warehouse somewhere, while the villains are the ones in Steed's flat, in Steed and Peel's bodies, getting comfy and kissing while they live it up and continue an evil plot. Of course, since it's just the same sets of actors switching roles, that's STILL Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg full on frenching each other, so do with that what you will. And I'll remind you this is while they are playing villains, and Evil Is Sexy.
- The season two finale of The Good Wife featured a long-awaited hookup between Alicia and Will. Would've been a delightful surprise- except that the trailer for the episode had already spoiled the Elevator Going Down.
- Promo materials (including the trailer and a still photo) for a Season 3 Once Upon a Time episode play this trope for all it's worth, highlighting a kiss between Hook and Emma, much to the delight of the pairing's fanbase.
- Twisted horribly, like most tropes, in Hannibal. The trailer for "Futamono" showed Alana in bed with Hannibal Lecter, who is still believed innocent by almost all of the characters, triggering a fandom-wide case of Bile Fascination.
- In Danny Phantom, the exact same thing can be said for Danny and Sam.
- The so-called "final episode" (not) of KaBlam!!, where June kisses Henry. To the shipper's dismay, it never aired on Nicktoons.
- The School Play episode of Hey Arnold!!: At least they were honest about the circumstances.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender loves this:
- And the PR department strikes with no mercy for The Legend of Korra by doing this with Korra and Mako.
- The Fairly Oddparents "Wishology" trilogy promos featured Trixie, in a wedding dress, about to kiss Timmy. Naturally, this sent two reactions through the fanbase: one hoping it was All Just a Dream, and the other hoping for a Relationship Upgrade. As it turns out, said scene was a dream, but by then they had kissed for real the previous night.
- Parodied on an episode of The Simpsons in which Bart laments missing the episode of Itchy & Scratchy where "they finally kiss."
- Total Drama World Tour pretty much revealed every kiss in the season in one of the first previews. One significant one is the reveal of a Gwuncan kiss.
- The supposed Grand Finale of Kim Possible had a Last Minute Hookup between Kim and Ron. It would have been more poignant had Disney Channel not been advertising the seconds leading up to the kiss for several weeks at that point.