Shakin' in the elevator (whoa)
Lingerie, second floor (whoa, yeah)
She said, "Can I see you later (whoa)
And love you just a little more?" (whoa, yeah)
I'm kinda hopin' we get stuck
Nobody gets out alive
She said, "I'll show you how to fax in the mail room, honey
And have you home by five"
Love in an elevator
Livin' it up when I'm goin' down
Love in an elevator
Lovin' it up 'til I hit the ground
What better thing for two characters bounding with Unresolved Sexual Tension
to do when they get in an elevator together? Make out until the doors open
, of course — which could be a while if the elevator gets stuck
Sometimes preceded by an Uncomfortable Elevator Moment
. Compare Born in an Elevator
Do not confuse with an elevator plummeting to the bottom of the shaft
, or an elevator whose destination is much further down than anyone would want to go.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Parodied in Neon Genesis Evangelion, where Misato and Kaji are stuck in a lift. They go to great length to keep their hands off one another, only to end up falling into a compromising position the second the doors get opened.
Maya: ...sex fiends.
- However an earlier scene plays it straight when we cut in on Kaji passionately kissing Misato, while she eyes the elevator reader clicking down to the moment the doors open. Her protests afterwards don't seem very convincing to Kaji.
- The Hentai anime Kininaru Kimochi is entirely about this trope. Three episodes, three explicit cases of Elevator Going Down.
- Hayate the Combat Butler makes fun of this one. Hayate and Maria (she in a Paper-Thin Disguise) get into an elevator. While they do have UST, Hayate's thoughts of whether he should confront her about having seen through the disguise are running through his head instead. Then the elevator gets stuck, and he knocks her to the floor accidentally while she's trying to fix it, just as Hinagiku (who he's about to rush headlong into UST with) gets the elevator working again in time to see.
- There is a chapter in the NGE fanfic Curious Rei where Shinji and Rei get into an elevator. When it arrives, Rei steps out and Kaji steps in. Elevator goes on... then Kaji makes a grinning remark to Shinji that he knows what happened, courtesy of his excellent observation skills. Specifically, he noticed Shinji's shirt is buttoned up wrong, his fly is not done up and — because those could be explained with getting up late — the drop of liquid he tried to obscure with his shoe then looked down to make sure he caught it.
- The 'Turbolift Tales' subgenre of Star Trek fanfiction. And I believe there's at least one scene in a Trek porn parody movie based on this trope.
Films — Live-Action
- In The Otherworld, Hope starts making out in an elevator with her ex-boyfriend Karl, an attractive conman who often seduces wealthy women just to steal their jewelry. When the elevator reaches her floor:
Hope: That "stop" button looks pretty good.
Karl: Unfortunately, if it stops for more than a couple of minutes, we'll be rescued by the building super.
Hope: Had some experience with that, have you?
Karl: On a job.
Hope: That's what I meant. Seducing the marks in an elevator. How declasse.
- Thirteen Hours spends the first half of the book about two women who are trapped in an elevator for thirteen hours. A steamy lesbian erotica, they realise a little late that the elevator has a camera, though cover it with whipped cream before they go all the way. Fortunately one of them is on good terms with the maintenance guy who gives it to her...for $50 and a sandwich.
- The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Dating and Sex talks about how to have sex in an elevator (among other places).
1. Find a building with an older elevator.
2. Alternatively, look for a freight elevator with padding on the walls.
3. Look for a camera.
4. Stop the elevator between floors.
5. Release the stop button or flip the switch to run when you are ready to leave.
- The video clip for the French song "En Apesanteur" by Calogero features a couple making out during an elevator ride. A very lengthy elevator ride.
- Used for at least one photo set in Penthouse magazine.
- The trope is called by name in episode 4 of the semi-interactive Flash cartoon 3|Way. Choosing the elevator path leads to a screen displaying prominently "GOING DOWN"... just before the S.L.U.T.s and Lady Dom (the 3 heroines and the hostage they've just freed, respectively) use the reprieve for some lesbian sex.