is a comedy film spoofing The Exorcist
Seventeen years after Nancy Aglet's
(Linda Blair) exorcism, she has settled down with her family and Father Jedediah Mayii (Leslie Nielsen) has peacefully retired. However, one night while watching TV with the family, Nancy begins to suspect that she's been possessed by Satan again. The (inept) Father Luke Brophy is called in to see it for himself, when Satan manifests himself once again. Along the way, naturally, Hilarity Ensues
. Especially in the form of a televangelist husband and wife who seek to televise Nancy's exorcism.
This film provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: "Father Luke was filled with many questions. Did he have what it took to be a priest? Should he have been a rabbi instead? After all, they do get Sundays off. And the question that nagged him the most: Why weren't there any Japanese players in the NBA?"
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Satan does it twice. The first time he does it to prove that he really is the devil. Then he does it again during the exorcism.
Satan: Aw come on. You've got just as many unsavory types up here! From those Domino Pizza delivery boys (looks directly at the camera) to that idiot in the back row who won't shut up during the movie!
- Breast Expansion: Happens to a woman working out in the gym. At the end of the scene they blow up offscreen.
- Change the Uncomfortable Subject: With this exchange:
: Father Mayii? Father Mayii
: Yes? Nerd student
: Wasn't it hard to live with yourself after completely wimping out and allowing a wuss like Father Luke to go up against Satan all by himself? Didn't you feel like a piece of gutless, spineless primordial slime?
* Father Mayii
: Next question.
- Chewing the Scenery: Nancy's kids seem to like to shout a lot.
- Combat Commentator: Jesse Ventura and "Mean" Gene Okerlund appear as this for possessed Nancy's appearance on TV.
- Curse Cut Short:
Fu-Fu is a good dog. (He reaches out to pet Fanny's dog, but it fiercely barks at him) Ernest Weller:
Why you little shi-! (Audience gasps) Ernest Weller:
...Tzu. Shih Tzu. (Audience sighs with relief)
- Demonic Possession
- Distracted by the Sexy: So much for adhering strictly to your vow of celibacy, eh, Father Mayii?
- Dreadful Musician: During the televised exorcism, Fanny Weller's singing is so bad they end up losing pledge money.
- Faux Horrific: Nancy says split pea soup will be one of the courses of their dinner, and then ominous music plays. Nancy looks around confusedly when that happens.
- Hoist By Their Own Petard: Father Mayii opens their rematch by vomiting all over the devil.
- I'm Not a Doctor, but I Play One on TV: One of the doctors at the hospital is an actor, and when Nancy talks to him he says the trope name.
- Incredibly Lame Pun:
- When Nancy goes to the hospital, she opens an elevator and happens upon a couple having an intimate moment. She asks "Oh, excuse me, Are you getting off?"
- During the real exorcism, Satan playfully asks, "Where's the Chief, 99?", to which Father Mayii says, "Do not Get Smart with me!"
- Laughably Evil: Satan seems to switch between being the "King of All that is Evil" and an amusing source of celebrity gossip and political satire.
- Left the Background Music On: When Father Luke approaches the now-fully-possessed Nancy, eerie and ominous music begins to play. Then Luke turns off his voice recorder, and the music stops.
- Multinational Team: With one TV camera, Father Luke manages to rally every religious leader in the world. Much to his own surprise, they don't waste any time in getting to the studio.
- My Greatest Failure: Spoofed:
Nancy: What I'm about to show you, I swore to never show anyone. (hands Father Luke a piece of paper)
Father Luke: "High School Debating Champion"?
- Only in It for the Money: As it turns out, Ernest and Fanny Weller are more interested in making money than spreading the good word.
- The Power of Rock: What finally drives the devil away.
- Punny Name: This happens to Father Mayii a couple of times:
Father Luke (upon visiting): Father Mayii?
Father Mayii: Yes, you may.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Satan/Nancy taunts Father Luke with one of these: "I know all about you, and why you really joined the Church. Oh sure, they have a great dental plan, but you had no talents, your skills were totally untrainable, and your SAT scores were only 400. So you only had two options: either working in the Church, or [working in] the U.S. Senate."
- Self-Deprecation: Linda Blair doing a comedic version of her most well-known role certainly counts.
- Silence, You Fool!: Said by Satan once.
- Staircase Tumble: Father Mayii suffers an unfeasibly long one in the opening.
- Training Montage: Father Mayii goes through one in preparation for his showdown with Satan (Which includes rapid cross-signing).
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot
- What the Heck Is an Aglet?: The protagonist's children ask why their surname is Aglet.
- Your Mom: "Don't take a look at this picture of your mother in bed with Manuel Noriega!"