open/close all folders
- In Phantom Quest Corp., Karino manages to keep up with the hospital's elevator by running up the stairs for at least four floors.
Films — Live Action
- The Second Elevator variant is used in True Lies.
- Justified in Schwarzenegger's film Commando when he jumps on top of the elevator car the chase-ee is taking.
- Played straight in The Rock. Sean Connery takes a lift down six or seven storeys, Nicholas Cage takes the stairs. Resulting increase in lead = 0.
- In Adventures in Babysitting a girl is being chased by two car thieves because she has information that they needed for their next job, she ducks into the elevator, and the door closes on the thieves, forcing them to wait for the elevator to come back down, later the babysitter and her friends take the elevator and retrieve her...
- Happens twice at the end of Midnight Madness:
- Adam gets into one express elevator and it closes just before Harold can get there, forcing harold to take the other one...
- Again, Adam gets to the elevator to the guest rooms before Harold can get there, and Harold takes the stairs, but not before he shuts off all the elevators.
- In The Grudge, Susan flees Kayako into an elevator and appears to be safe. That is until Toshio is seen on the passing floor, and the next, and the next, and so on and so forth... getting closer with each passing floor.
- In The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015), Victoria and the agents race back to the plaza hotel to preserve their cover stories, Solo and Kuryakin run up a lengthy flight of stairs. Victoria simply takes the elevator.
Live Action TV
- In an episode of Due South, a man Fraser and Ray Kowalski are chasing who is Ray Vecchio, still undercoverdodges into an elevator. Ray tosses Fraser his cell phone, and while Fraser races up the stairs, Ray calls from a payphone to tell him which floor the elevator stops on.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In "Intervention", Spike forces open the doors to the elevator shaft and drops onto a descending elevator to escape Glory's minions. However they're able to get to the ground floor to cut him off by the time the slow-moving elevator gets there, as they're going down the stairs.
- In Mirror's Edge, this happens while you're chasing Jacknife, resulting in you having to take the other elevator.
- Happens to your opponents a couple of times, too, with Faith getting the elevator closed just as a hail of bullets strike the doors.
- Done in Sam & Fuzzy, where Sam rides up to top level in the elevator, the chasing Ninja takes the stairs and, being a determinator, arrives first...
- No matter how the Big Bad Wolf tries to escape Droopy, whenever any door he shuts is re-opened, the doggedly determined Droopy will be standing there.
- Justice League: The Flash has a Too Dumb to Live moment when, after the rest of the League is possessed by an ancient evil, he tries to take the elevator instead of running.
- In William Shatner's Get a Life, he mentions one time Nimoy got recognized entering a hotel where a con was. He and the organizers barely made it to the elevator in time, but they heard their pursuers running up the stairs in the adjacent shaft. They made it most of the way to the stage before the fans arrived.