Houston Harris (1924-1998) was an American Professional Wrestler who competed from the 1949 through the 1990s as Bobo Brazil. He competed in the WWWF, the AWA, various National Wrestling Alliance territories, All Japan Pro Wrestling, and some other promotions. In particular, he was a HUGE star in Detroit, regularly feuding with the Sheik. Among his in-ring achievements, he was a multiple-time WWWF United States Heavyweight Champion, a 13x NWA (Detroit) United States Heavyweight Champion, a multiple-time NWA (Detroit) World Tag Team Champion, and was inducted into the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame in 1996.As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.
- Alliterative Name: His ring name, as well as Houston Harris
- Arch-Enemy: The Sheik.
- Face: Absolutely. Due to all kinds of concerns over what could go wrong if a black wrestler played the heel, he was an example of Positive Discrimination being played as straight as humanly possible.
- Hard Head: His Finishing Move, the Coco Butt
- Ink-Suit Actor: In Tiger Mask.
- Old Master: To Rocky Johnson.
- Underwear of Power
- Ur-Example: The first African-American to get over big with white audiences. He started only wrestling other black people, but his fans demanded that Bobo face "better" competition.
- Wrestling Family: His brother, Hank James, eventual wife, Kathleen Wembley and son, Bobo Brazil Jr, were all wrestlers too.