Luis Ignascio Urive Alvirde
(born December 22, 1982) is a Mexican luchador enmascarado, or masked professional wrestler, signed with WWE and appearing under the ring name Sin Cara
(Spanish for "without face" or "faceless"). He is best known for his time in the lucha libre promotion Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) under the ring name Místico
, where since 2006 he was the main técnico
in CMLL and the biggest box office draw in all of Mexico. Místico is Spanish for "Mystic", a religious ring character who is the storyline
protégé of the wrestling priest Fray Tormenta. Upon signing with WWE in January 2011, Urive was repackaged as Sin Cara.
Tropes associated with Sin Cara include:
- Arch-Enemy: In WWE, Hunico
- Pre-WWE, Averno and Ultimo Guerrero
- Badass Longcoat
- Being Evil Sucks: Mistico became a Rudo after being forced to team up with his former enemy Averno to enter the "amazing pairs" tournament and taking a liking to his "all's fair in war" philosophy. After a while though this became his attitude and he became a technico again.
- Big Brother Mentor: Rey Mysterio is this to Sin Cara, as Cara has had trouble fitting in with WWE style of wrestling.
- Cool Mask
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience/Good Colors, Evil Colors: In his feud with Hunico, who was billed as Sin Cara Negro after changing his gear to black and silver,, and Sin Cara was billed as Sin Cara Azul, was dressed in blue and gold.
- Costume Copycat: Another Sin Cara, who was revealed to be Hunico, in revenge for Sin Cara previously being inserted into Hunico's former role as Mistico.
- Detached Sleeves
- Didn't Think This Through: There are rumors that all he did his brief stay in developmental was only to work out his elaborate entrance. What is clear is that not teaching him the language of the majority roster and fan base has turned out not to be for the better. He also seemed to have little grasp of the regional heat building style.
- Epic Fail: A t-shirt WWE marketed for him had to be pulled after a phallic image◊ was discovered in the design.
- And maybe to a lesser extent. His WWE career up till his injury, which was far from botch free. This is due to him not being put through development system first to get used to the WWE style of wrestling or learn any English and was put on TV straight away.
- Finishing Move: 619 to La Mistica, a slingshot into an armbar like submission while he was in CMLL. In WWE he does the move without the 619(since Rey Mysterio) or transitioning into a submission(because of Alberto Del Rio) which makes it look odd. Also used to do the evolution in WWE, a top rope back flipping STO type move which was botched in his first match(actually Primo's fault that time but still).
- Follow the Leader: WWE are hoping to emulate Rey Mysterio Jr's popularity with Sin Cara.
- Fragile Speedster
- Game-Breaking Injury: Was out for five months due to a slipped patella in his left kneecap. Then was out again for a month after suffering a knee injury.
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger
- Glass Cannon: Dear Lord in Heaven the man gets hurt a lot.
- In a Single Bound: Sin Cara's entrance consists of jumping over the ring ropes (in Real Life, it's done through the means of a trampoline disguised by camera trickery).
- Masked Luchador
- Meaningful Name: Sin Cara means Faceless.
- No Sell: In his first WWE match, after being (accidentally) dropped on his chest from the top rope to the floor his amusing response is to angrily rise, slide back in the ring and repeat the process.
- Old Master: Fray Tormenta, the two of them even had a comic.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: His theme song.
- Orange/Blue Contrast: Special lighting is used during his matches with the ring golden and the background deeply blue.
- The Artifact: It was originally supposed to match his ring gear - but now his ring gear is red and white.
- Parental Abandonment: In CMLL's Kayfabe to make the ties to Fray Tormenta stronger.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse
- Put on a Bus: Thanks to his Game-Breaking Injury.
- Religious Bruiser: To a degree as Mistico, given who his mentor was. Sin Cara has been seen taking a prayer like pose on occasion as well.
- Role Ending Misdemeanor: Briefly and not too long into his WWE career for a supposed wellness policy violation, not helped by the fact Sin Cara did not even know what he had done wrong.
- Signature Move: Handspring back elbow feint.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Eventually degenerating to the Harley Race module when Mistico was a Rudo.
- The Voiceless: Subverted. Sin Cara's voiceless most of the time due to his lack of English. When "Sin Cara" started talking it was the first hint that it was really an imposter, however there are a few exceptions:
- On WWE's Backstage Fallout that airs on YouTube, he does speak in Spanish, and have Rey Mysterio translate for him.
- He finally sings in English in WWE's 2012 Christmas video.
- Wrestling Family:The son of Dr. Karonte and temporarily wrestled as Dr. Karonte Jr. Two of his brothers worked as Astro boy and Astro boy II and he took over for the first one after his untimely death for a while. Another brother was Argenis, who felt Mistico should have helped him get more opportunities in CMLL. His uncle Tony Salazar was also a wrestler and then became a ring announcer for CMLL.