Ballot Box Bunny
is a 1951 Looney Tunes
cartoon directed by Friz Freleng
and starring Bugs Bunny
. In the short, Bugs throws himself into the race for small-town mayor after hearing that candidate Yosemite Sam's campaign platform includes a promise to wipe out every last rabbit. An escalating dirty-trick campaign ensues, along with hilarity.
- Ash Face: Exaggerated. After the Explosive Cigar goes off, a man's whole head turns to ash, which then blows away. Fortunately, his real head was hidden under his coat.
- Bowdlerise: The original ending has Sam and Bugs play Russian Roulette; Sam gets an empty chamber, but the short Irises Out as Bugs pulls the trigger and we hear a bang - then we Iris In to reveal that he "missed" and shot Sam. This is inevitably edited out of televised airings.
- Carry a Big Stick: During a campaign speech, Bugs does an impression of Theodore Roosevelt, quoting his saying about speaking softly and carrying a big stick. Sam retorts that he speaks loudly and carries a bigger stick — which he then hits Bugs with.
- Dark Horse Victory: In the end, Sam and Bugs both lose to a previously-unseen third candidate, who is literally a dark horse, and is declared the town's "new Mare".
- Election Day Episode: One of the central tropes of this feature.
- Explosive Cigar: When Sam decides to hand out cigars to prospective voters, Bugs swaps them for the exploding variety.
- Handbag of Hurt / Parasol of Pain: Sam gets a dose of this from some angry mothers.
- It's Like I Always Say
Sam: No one will vote for a flattened-out rabbit skin, I always say.
- Large Ham / No Indoor Voice: Sam, as per usual.
Sam: WELL I SPEAK LOUD! AND I CARRY A BIIIGER STICK! AND I USE IT TOO!! (Hits Bugs on the noggin.)
- Politicians Kiss Babies: Sam attempts this as a campaign tactic, with little apparent success even before Bugs disguises himself as a baby and accuses Sam of biting him on the nose.
- Sausage String Silliness: When Bugs throws a picnic for the voters, Sam releases ants than run off with the food. One group carry off a string of sausages, treating it like a mule train.
- Spit Take: Bugs' reaction to Sam's initial campaign speech.
- Strong Ants: The ants carrying off whole items of picnic food — especially the one ant who carries an entire watermelon by itself.
- Visual Pun: The actual winner of the election is literally a dark horse.
- Xylophone Gag: Sam tries it on Bugs with a rigged piano, and gets the usual outcome.