Oh, will you look at that. What a comfy chair! It's like I always say
, start with a good piece and replace the rest when you can afford it.
A character is talking. They say a phrase, and before or after it say, "It's like I always say".
However, the character rarely if ever is heard saying this phrase other than in the current conversation. If it really is something they always say, then it's probably their Catch Phrase
- Frasier: The page quote is said by Daphne in the pilot episode. She never says the phrase again.
- Martin also says "like I always say" in a couple of episodes.
- Futurama, "The Farnsworth Parabox": The crew (from our universe, "Universe A") are trapped in a parallel universe ("Universe 1"). The two Benders have the following exchange:
Bender 1: It's like I always say, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver—"
Bender A: "And the other's gold."
- Penny Arcade: Subverted/lampshaded/parodied here as part of a Seinfeldian Conversation. Played straight elsewhere.
- Lampshaded in The Little Mermaid. At the beginning of the story, Sebastian tells Triton something along the lines of "It's like I always say, sire: You have to be firm with children, or they'll swim all over you." At the Happy Ending, he says "It's like I always say: You've got to let children grow up and make their own decisions". Triton immediately calls him on his inconsistency.
- Used and parodied in the Discworld novels with Sam Vimes, who is fond of using the phrase. This led to an incident of Captain Carrot trying to guess from a list of the things that he does always say, like "How did Nobby ever become a watchman?". Upon learning what Vimes meant, he resolved to remember from then on that he had always said that.
- A later book had the line "One of the things Vimes always said, or at least one of the things Vimes said he always said, and you don't argue with the boss..."
- Played with in Unseen Academicals, where Glenda says "Being busy takes your mind off things, that's what I always say", and is then slightly disturbed when Juliet replies "Yes, Glenda, that's what you always say."
- Big Trouble in Little China: "Like old Jack Burton always says..."
- Lady and the Tramp:
Trusty: It's like my old gran-pappy—Ol' Reliable—used to say... Eh, don't recollect I ever mentioned Ol' Reliable before..."
- On Parks and Recreation, after Ben notes that Idaho cut its park budget, Leslie replies, "I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Pawnee is better than Idaho."
- Done at least Once an Episode by Miss Frizzle in The Magic School Bus.
- And it wasn't just her who always said something. She had endless relatives, usually aunts, whose sayings she quoted on a regular basis as well.
- Played with in Fun With Dick And Jane where Jack Mc Callister would occasionally say "Like my granddaddy always used to say" and leave it hanging at that.
- Played with in Baldur's Gate:
Draw your daggers and spells and let's have at 'er! You've crossed our employers and this is as far as you're going to go, my friend. Should've known that lazy bounty hunting rabble wouldn't get the job done. Never settle for second best, I always say!
You want to know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one." That's what I always say.
Drasus: HAW! A good saying! I will use your head for a puppet and make it say it over and over while we drink large amounts of mead! Life is pretty good, you know?
- Brainy Smurf always would say this.
- The Muppet Show episode where Bob Hope was the special guest, and he kept cancelling.
Waldorf: Doesn't surprise me. I always said this show has no hope.
Statler: Have you really always said that?
Waldorf: Of course not. I'm sorry I said it just then.
- Maverick frequently used the phrase, "Like my Pappy always said..." Lampshaded in the movie when Maverick (Mel Gibson) said the phrase in a conversation with his father (James Garner, the original Maverick), who then groused that his son was always misquoting him.
- Beast Wars: "It's like I always say: We're all gonna die."
- Played Straight in Adventure Time:
Finn: It's like you always say... "Work and fun don't mix..."
Jake: "...Unless you're a clown". I do say that a lot.
- Tooter Turtle (from King Leonardo And His Short Subjects) ended his segment downtrodden, telling Mr. Wizard how he made a mess of things again.
Mr. Wizard: Tooter, my boy, it's like I am always telling you:
Be just what you is, not what you is not.
Folks what do this are the happiest lot.
- Velma in the Scooby-Doo episode "Hassle In The Castle," when Scooby takes on a John Wayne persona as he tracks down the castle's phantom.
Velma: Like I said before...what a ham!
- Yosemite Sam in the Bugs Bunny cartoon "Ballot Box Bunny':
Sam: No one'll vote for a blown up rabbit, I always say!