Creator: Mike Myers
Michael John "Mike" Myers (May 25, 1963-)is a Canadian actor, comedian, singer, screenwriter, and film producer, best known for his run on Saturday Night Live from 1989 to 1995 and for playing the title roles in the Austin Powers and Shrek series of films.
- Saturday Night Live (1989-1995)
- Waynes World
- So I Married an Axe Murderer
- Fifty Four
- Austin Powers
- The Cat in the Hat
- The Love Guru
- Inglourious Basterds
Tropes that could be applied to Myers' work
- Acting for Two: Every one of the Austin Powers movies features Myers playing multiple roles.
- Development Hell: A biopic of The Who's late drummer Keith Moon with Myers in the lead was teased in the late 2000s, but nothing has come of it since.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: When Myers backed down from starting production for a film based on his Saturday Night Live character Dieter, the studio sued for breach of contract. Myers argued that the quality of his own script wasn't good enough to work on. In the end both he and the studio settled on making The Cat in the Hat, which is generally regarded as a pretty bad film anyway and may have been the beginning of the end for his phase in Hollywood's elite.
- Money, Dear Boy: Myers' well-publicized battle with Universal Pictures was a result of his attempts to invert this trope - he wanted out of the Sprockets movie because he felt that the script (which he himself wrote) was not good enough. The trope is played straight with The Cat in the Hat and The Love Guru - he was actually legally obligated to make the former as part of his settlement with Universal.
- The Prima Donna: One reason why Myers ended up in the above-mentioned predicament in the first place is his notorious habit for burning bridges.
- Reclusive Artist: He took the abysmal failure of The Love Guru as an opportunity to unofficially retire from acting and take up painting.
- The Unfavorite: According to several biographical accounts, it's not that Mike was unloved by his parents and family, it's just that they considered him the least funny of the siblings.