Takeshi no Chousenjou
(Takeshi's Challenge) was a 1986 troll Video Game
on the Famicom, made by Taito
under the direction of Japanese comedian Takeshi Kitano
, known as Beat Takeshi
. The player controls a despondent salaryman
that must go through a lot of tribulations to find great riches.
The game does anything it can to annoy the user, such as making him sing with the second controller's microphone, press a button for hours, hitting the same enemy thousands of times
... all while being attacked by hard to avoid enemies. The player can beat people up, get fired and divorced, drink until he passes out
, and learn new skills.
The game sold only 800,000 copies in its lifetime and made available in Japan's Virtual Console for the Wii
in 2009. DeceasedCrab
has also done a Let's Play
of the game here
has also done a a review of it
This game includes examples of:
- Black Comedy
- Boss in Mook Clothing
- Classic Video Game Screw Yous: In the hang-gliding section, you need to hit gusts of wind to increase your altitude. Shooting a gust of wind destroys it.
- Cluster F-Bomb: There is no attempt at censoring in the game, so you will be cursed out regularly and you can curse out people as well.
[if the player sucks at Karaoke] THAT WAS SHIT. GET OUTTA HERE.
[shouting too loudly into the microphone] SHUT UP, YOU DICK!
DON'T BE A DICK. STOP HOGGING THE MIC!
- Everything Trying to Kill You: For whatever reason, the whole world is conspiring to see Takeshi Kitano dead.
- Guide Dang It: The entire game. In fact, an official strategy guide was released alongside the game, but it wasn't enough, so another was published not too long after.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: You can drink until you get completely hammered.
- Infant Immortality: Averted. You can beat up your own children in the game and kill them (insofar as any character in the game dies.)
- Press Start To Game Over: Choose the 'punch' option when prompted to enter your name and the game ends before it even starts.
- Magical Asian: Ruthlessly parodied when one shows up to give you the paper that turns out to be a map to hidden treasure. The player ends up beating him to death in the middle of the bar.
- Moon Logic Puzzle: Tons. Good luck figuring out that you need to dip that piece of paper you get in water when any sane human being would just read it as is.
- Nintendo Hard: Kinda speaks for itself really. If you die at any time, you go straight back to the beginning of the game! You will die so many times on the hang-gliding section. The game is evil. Also, this is a Nintendo game? That's pretty... surprising.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: You turn into one of these in the hang-gliding segment. One minor graze? Back to the start!
- Salaryman: The Player Character at the beginning of the game.
- Stealth Parody: Granted it's about as stealthy as a grizzly bear armed with chainsaws crashing a jeep into your living room.
- Stepford Smiler: You've got to hand it to the Salaryman for being so upbeat all the time.
- Stupidity Is the Only Option: Getting drunk, unemployed, and divorced are needed to progress.
- Stylistic Suck: The game is purposely designed to piss off anyone who plays it. It's clear that had the creators genuinely wanted to make a good game they could have.
- Take That, Audience!: The entire concept of the game is to annoy and piss off the player in every way possible and then have the creator himself in the ending screen tell the player that beat the game to stop taking the game so seriously.
- The game also calls you out if you start yelling or swearing into the microphone, telling you to shut up.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Once you get to the hotel, you can actually restore your hearts. You're gonna need them.
- Trial-and-Error Gameplay
- Villain Protagonist: While a lot of the more assholish things are done only of the player's volition, the game still requires a lot of outright villainous things to be done (see the Would Hit a Girl example below).
- Violence Is the Only Option: You can punch everybody and in many cases, it will help you advance in the game! You can punch your wife and kids! You can end up murdering them if you really want to! Yay!
- Wait to Dry a Piece of Paper
- A Winner Is You: The ending screen does not give you a real ending so much as it shows Takeshi Kitano's cartoon face, and the words Amazing and "The End". If the player waits a few minutes afterwards, he calls you out on taking this "crappy game" seriously enough to actually finish it through.
- Would Hit a Girl: Attacking hostesses at one point is also necessary to proceed.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: You can beat your own wife and children to death in the game. JonTron was suitably horrified when he found out.
: Also I'd just like to point out that there is a licensed Nintendo game WITH DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN IT!!
- Yakuza: A type of enemy in the game. You can beat them up.