Recap: Star Trek The Next Generation S 3 E 23 Sarek
Vulcan Ambassador Sarek, father of Spock, beams aboard the Enterprise to be transported to his final diplomatic duty. But he is suffering the initial symptoms of a mind-deteriorating disease and his telepathic skills project violent, irrational impulses in the crew's minds.
- Bar Brawl: Fueled not by alcohol but by Sarek inadvertently projecting his anger telepathically onto others.
- Blatant Lies: Ki Mendrosan assuring Picard that Sarek is in perfect health.
- Hate Plague: Sarek's Vulcan Alzheimer's.
- I Have No Son: Indirectly pulled by Picard-as-Sarek, who mentions Amanda and Spock, but not Sybok or his first wife. Unsurprising, as the writing staff had agreed between themselves to consign Star Trek V: The Final Frontier to Canon Discontinuity status.
- Large Ham: Picard really goes to town after the mind-meld.
- MacGuffin: The main goal for the characters in this episode is for the negotiations between the Federation and the alien race Legarans to succeed. However, the actual negotiations are not shown, and we don't even get to see what the Legarans look like.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Sarek's unusually testy behavior is revealed to be the onset of Vulcan Alzheimer's.
- Similarly, Beverly slapping Wesley, Geordi and Wesley sniping at each other, and then Picard and Riker having a massive blowup on the bridge as a result of Sarek's emotional control slipping.
- Sanity Slippage: Sarek is inadvertently projecting his emotions thanks to Bendii Syndrome, a rare ailment among Vulcans.
- Something Only They Would Say: A variant. After melding with Picard, Sarek starts calling Riker "Number One."
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Picard mentions in passing that he once met Sarek briefly at his son's wedding. This is the only on screen mention of 'Mrs. Spock' (Although I'm sure there's plenty of fan fiction covering it).
- Whole Plot Reference: Sarek visits the Enterprise for his last diplomatic mission that is compromised by an illness hidden from his human wife...