"I like to disappear into a role. I equate the success of it with a feeling of being chemically changed. That's the only way I can express it."Chiwetelu Umeadi "Chiwetel" Ejiofor note (born 10 July 1977), is a British actor who first started his acting career in theater.
Notable roles include:
- Firefly and Serenity as The Operative
- Love Actually (2003) as Peter
- Kinky Boots (2005) as Lola
- Children of Men (2006) as Luke
- American Gangster (2007) as Huey Lucas
- Endgame (2009) as Thabo Mbeki
- 2012 (2009) as Dr. Adrian Helmsley
- Salt (2010) as Peabody
- 12 Years a Slave (2013) as Solomon Northrup. A Star-Making Role, for which he earned his first Oscar nomination.
- Doctor Strange (2016) as Baron Mordo
- The Lion King (2019) as Scar
Tropes associated with Chiwetel Ejiofor:
- Badass Baritone
- Classically Trained Extra : Has a ton of theatre work under his hat and is a rather renowned actor on the stage. Tends to spend a lot of time in mainstream movies in the background, though he's garnering increased visibility thanks to 12 Years a Slave and Doctor Strange.
- Male Frontal Nudity: One of his earliest roles (Greenwich Mean Time) involved a bit of this.
- The Smart Guy/The Stoic: Frequently cast in these roles.
- The Unpronouncable: His name is hard to pronounce and hard to spell. He's used to it but don't call him "Chewey".