"To avoid crucifixion by The Wire
fans, we're obliged to point out that this guy played Stringer Bell."
—Kevin Murphy on Heimdall in the RiffTrax commentary of Thor
Idrissa Akuna "Idris" Elba is an English television, theatre, and film actor born in 1972. A Golden Globe award winner for his role as Luther
, he is also famous for having starred as the sophisticated druglord Stringer Bell in The Wire
and in several big budget Hollywood films such as Thor
, and Pacific Rim
. He also reprised his role in the Thor
sequel Thor: The Dark World
.He's also a musician
, known as DJ Big Driis/Big Driis the Londoner.
Live Action TV
Provides examples of
- Ability Over Appearance: In Thor, most people stopped noticing that Heimdall was being played by a black actor about six femtoseconds into Elba's performance. As Moviebob said, "To those people who asked, "Why cast a black man as a Viking", every scene Elba is in is resounding "THAT IS WHY!".
- No one can imagine anyone but him as Heimdall now.
- Badass Baritone
- Badass Driver: A one-off BBC special called "Idris Elba: King of Speed" showed he was a fast learner at motorcycle trails riding and rally driving.
- Chronically Killed Actor: A number of his roles involve his character dying by the end.
- Comic Book Fantasy Casting: John Stewart is a dead ringer for him in Injustice: Gods Among Us.
- Creator Backlash: He went straight from shooting Mandela to Dark World, including a complicated wire stunt which took a while to do, and Idris wasn't able to get out of the harness between takes. He straight up called the sequence "Torture."
- Fake American: He can put on an almost flawless East Coast accent. Many fans of The Wire express surprise when they learn he is from the UK. He also used a fake American Accent in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.
- Elba is also very committed to keeping up appearances: He used his American accent for most press appearances related to The Wire, as well as any situations where he interacted with fans.
- So My Kids Can Watch: He has said he takes roles in films like Thor and Pacific Rim because his daughter is a big fan of those types of movies.
- What Could Have Been: He was almost cast as Django in Django Unchained.