Once More, with Volume!
Alice says something Betty finds shocking. "What?!" Betty asks indignantly. Alice, The Ditz
, repeats word for word what she just said, mistaking the indignance for not having heard. If they're particularly unlucky, this might continue for some time.
Live Action Television
- Another variant in Austin Powers;
Austin: [giving a massage] How does that feel, baby?
Girl: Mmm, lower!
Austin: [deeper voice] How does that feel, baby?
- Zootopia: Nick's response to Chief Bogo when he tries to take Judy's badge.
Nick: Ah, no.
Bogo: What did you say, fox?
Nick: Sorry, what I said was nooo!
- Friends: Phoebe Buffay does it all the time:
Rachel: Ross's mom once told me I was like the daughter she never had.
Phoebe: (loudly) She's like the daughter she never had.
- The Golden Girls: Rose Nylund does it frequently:
Stan: We're being audited.
Rose: (loudly) He said you're being audited.
- Have I Got News for You: Paul Merton do has done lots of those. "Lower" (when guessing at a number) made him use a deeper voice, "nearer" made him lean in, etc.
- It was used multiple times in one episode of Night Court, always at Christine. Oh, and the last one came from a radio broadcast.
- Life On Mars has the double act of Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt:
Sam: If the kidnapper's still at large we might be able to lure him out.
Sam: That note was a cry for justice.
Gene: And I ask again, only slightly louder, HOW?!!!
- Used in one episode of Taxi, when Reverend Jim was taking the test to get a driver's license ...
Jim: Psst! Bobby! What does a yellow light mean?
Bobby: Slow down.
Jim: What, does, a, yellow, light, mean?
Bobby: Slow down!
Jim: What ... does ... a ... yellow ... light ... mean?
Bobby: Slow down!!
Jim: Whaaaat ...... dooooeeeess ...... aaaaa ...... yeeellllllooowww ......
- The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour:
Dick: You lower your voice!
Tommy: (ridiculous low monotone) Mom liked you best.
- From South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, where the show would normally use a Lame Rhyme Dodge:
Mr. Garrison: How would you like to go to the principal's office?!
Cartman: How would you like to suck my balls?
Mr. Garrison: WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!
Cartman: Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Actually, what I said was...(produces a megaphone) HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUCK MY BALLS, MR. GARRISON?
- Used as a Running Gag in the animated series Flying Rhino Junior High between The Phantom and Raticus:
The Phantom: What did he/she say????
Raticus: He/She said that...
The Phantom: I HEARD HIM/HER!!!!!
- A gem from the Ruby-Spears Mega Man cartoon:
Dr. Wily: What do you mean, he escaped?
ProtoMan: Escaped, as in departed, vamoosed, beat feet...
Dr. Wily: I KNOW what the WORD means!
- It's happened in MSN conversations. As if, the other person in the convo thought the text was too quiet to read.