Her heart don't lie
Gabriella Lucia Cilmi (born 10 October 1991) is an Australian singer-songwriter. She is best known for her debut single "Sweet About Me", released in Australia in April 2008. She also is super famous in the UK and her newer releases are focused there.
In 2008, Cilmi won six ARIA Awards in Australia, taking Best Female Artist, Breakthrough Artist: Single ("Sweet About Me"), Breakthrough Artist: Album (''Lessons to Be Learned'), Best Pop Release (Lessons to Be Learned), Highest Selling Single ("Sweet About Me"), and Single of the Year ("Sweet About Me"). Cilmi covered a Connie Francis song, "Warm This Winter", for Co-operative's Christmas 2008 advertising campaign.
She soon started on her sophomore album Ten
, released in 2010. Lead single On A Mission came out soon after that, and it was a mild success both in Australia and the UK. She also released "Defender". This album was 60's 70's pop and jazz set in the future. It was lighter and softer then her jazzy debut.
She has since left that recording company due to executive meddling and releasing music problems. She's now with a new company (Sweetness Tunes) set in the UK who released her third album "The Sting". That album discussed how she broke up with her old company and a boyfriend around the same time. This album returned to her jazz routes and has a "Love Martyr" vibe.
Her singles so far have been: "Sweet About Me", "Don't Want To Go To Bed Now", "Save The Lies", "Sanctuary", "On A Mission", "Hearts Don't Lie", "Defender", "The Sting", "Vicious Love", "Symmatry" and "Sweeter In History"She is of Italian-Australian heritage.
- Lessons To Be Learned (2008)
- Ten (2010)
- The Sting (2013)
- Lesson To Be Learnt Tour (2008)
- The Sting Tour (2014)
This musician shows examples of:
- Anti-Love Song: "Awkward Game" and "Sweet About Me".
- All Love Is Unrequited: "Sit In The Blues"
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Vicious Love", "Cigarettes and Lies" and "Messy"
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Spent hours getting the vocals right on Hearts Don't Lie.
- Break Up Song: "Got No Place To Go", "Sit in the Blues", "Boys", "Invisible Girl", "Awkward Game", "Glue" and most of "The Sting" album
- Cover Version: "Warm This Winter", "Echo Beach", "Cry Me A River".
- Darker and Edgier: Her material is supposed to be going down this road soon. "The Sting" is VERY DARK.
- Driven to Suicide: "KILL Ourselves"
- Dedication: "Defender" to her brother.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Some fans refer to her as "Brie" (like the cheese), and Briella (a hypocoristic, i.e. contracted form of her name).
- Executive Meddling: Broke it off with her original Recording Company over these issues. They wanted sexy, she preferred jazzy and personal.
- Fan Disservice: Well, if reports on British showbiz blogs are anything to go by.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Her single Hearts Don't Lie and On A Mission.
- "Messy" and "Sweet About Me" also apply
- Hotter and Sexier: The cover for Ten, where she's lying in her underwear.
- Intercourse with You: "Don't Want to Go To Bed Now", "Messy", "Superman", "Robots", "Superhot".
- It's Pronounced Tro-PAY : Her surname is "CHIL-me". Unless you're Something Awful, in which case it's "Kill-me".
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: For some bizarre reason, she seems to be popular with torrent downloaders of music.
- Lighter and Softer: Ten is way more pop then Lessons To Be Learned was.
- Long Title: Don't Want To Go To Bed Now, Love Me Cuz You Want To.
- Love Martyr: ALL of "The Sting".
- Moral Guardians: The one photoshoot she did which was sexy was almost ignored by them entirely.
- Ms. Fanservice: Recently indulges in this.
- New Sound Album: Ten was a very different kind of modern throw back pop compared to her debut. It incorporated elements of disco and dance, whereas Lessons to Be Learned was a soul/jazz-inspired album.
- Precision F-Strike: Bloody in "Messy" counts.
- Refuge in Audacity: "Sweet About Me", "Save The Lies", "Terrifying", "Awkward Game".
- Spiritual Successor: To Delta Goodrem having a similar amount of hits on her first album, and being extremely young and having really good media training skills.
- Silly Love Songs: "Superman", "Symmatry", "Just A Girl"
- Serious Business: Well, if you live Oop North.
- Springtime for Hitler: This is what her fans claim about On A Mission.
- Subdued Section: "Love Me Cos You Want To"
- Rock Star Song: "This Game" and "Terrifying".
- Three Minutes of Writhing: "On A Mission". "Hearts Don't Lie", "Defender", "Don't Want To Go To Bed Now" and "Save The Lies".
- Your Cheating Heart: "Boys", "Sit In the Blues",