Interviewer: What would you say is the biggest influence in Gorgoroth's music?
Interviewer:And what does Satan mean for you?
Gaahl: ...Freedom.Gorgoroth are a Norwegian Black Metal band, infamous for their constant lineup changes due to the history behind many of the band members involved within them. Ever since its birth, guitarist Infernus has run the band by himself after vocalist Hat and drummer Goatpervertor left. Vocalist Pest and bassist Ares came into the band, with Pest doing the other half of the vocals on Antichrist when Hat left.In April 1996, they toured alongside Satyricon and Dissection, following a recording of the EP The Last Tormentor. Eventually, they became a big name in the European Black Metal scene. In that same year, Under the Sign of Hell was recorded and released. In 1997, they were signed onto Nuclear Blast until 2004, much to the dismay of the more hardcore black metal fans due to the perceived image of "selling out".It was then Gaahl had joined the band and made his debut on only one track off Destroyer. He would proceed to do almost all of the vocals on Incipit Satan. In 2002, Gaahl was arrested for his infamous beating. The controversy did not end there for the band, as in 2004, a shooting of a concert taking place in Poland was not viewed well from the Polish due to the Satanic nature and animal cruelty of animals, as the stage had various Satanic symbols and decapitated sheep on steaks. This event alone had Gorgoroth dropped from the Nuclear Blast Roster and were forced to sign up with Regain Records for Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam.In 2007, Gaahl and King Ov Hell tried to take hold of the Gorgoroth name by attempting to fire Infernus. Due to the dispute, they had to take it to the court, which ruled off the band under Infernus, effectively kicking out the former two. Pest came back after Gaahl's ejection, and Obituary bassist Frank Watkins joined. Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt was finally released, and was Pest's only album that he was on before he got fired in 2012, not counting the 2011 re-recording of Under the Sign of Hell. In 2015, bassist Frank Watkins passed away after a long battle with cancer.
—Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
- Infernus – guitar (1992–Present)
- Tomas Asklund – drums (2007–present)
- Atterigner – vocals (2012–present)
Notable Past Members:
- Pest - Vocals (1995–1997, 2008–2012)
- Gaahl - Vocals (1998–2007)
- Samoth - Bass (1993–1994)
- King ov Hell - Bass (1999–2006, 2007)
- Bøddel – bass (2007–2015)
- Frost - Drums (1994–1995, 2004–2005)
- Pentagram (1994)
- Antichrist (1996)
- Under the Sign of Hell (1997)
- Destroyer (1998)
- Incipit Satan (2000)
- Twilight of the Idols (2003)
- Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam (2006)
- Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt (2009)
- Under the Sign of Hell 2011 (2011)
- Instinctus Bestialis (2015)
Tropes Displayed by Gorgoroth:
- Altum Videtur: Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam, Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt, and Instinctus Bestialis.
- Axe Crazy: Gaahl certainly comes across as this.
- Black Metal: One of the Trope Codifiers for the Norwegian Wave.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: What Gaahl is most infamous for, outside his musical career.
- Cover Version: "Life Eternal" by Mayhem. Needless to say, he hasn't done another cover since, given his stance on covering other band's music.
- Dark is Evil: ...And Evil is Cool.
- Genre Roulette: Incipit had more Noise and Dark Ambient influences.
- I Am the Band: Infernus.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: The band itself prefers to make their lyrics remain like that, and instantly ask whoever posted online said lyrics to remove them. Only a few sites, such as The Metal Archives. managed to put at least some of their lyrics.
- Lead Bassist: Samoth and King ov Hell were both a Type C.
- Manly Gay: Gaahl.
- Meaningful Name: "Bøddel" means executioner in Norwegian. Executioner was the old Obituary name. The member using that stage name was originally from Obituary.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Solid 10 for the most part, par for the course of Black Metal. Hard 10 on earlier albums
- New Sound Album: Under the Sign and Destroyer took a more experimental change in their usual BM sound. Incipit took the changes up to eleven, and then Twilight returned to the more standard BM sound.
- Revolving Door Band: To the point where Gaahl and King tried to kick Infernus out of his own band. Animosity between Infernus and other members aren't much better either, such as when Pest got fired.
- Rated M for Manly
- Rock Me, Asmodeus!: With Infernus being a Theistic Satanist, the band might be the biggest example ever.
- Satan: The sole lyrical theme, at least from what we can tell. The band members aren't too keen on their lyrics being written anywhere for any reason.
- Start My Own: Gaahl and King ov Hell started God Seed back in 2009, and it became their main band when both lost the case against Infernus.
- Gaahl has also started a folk band entirely devoted to Norse mythology and runes named Wardruna.
- Again in 2015, Gaahl has a new main band, Gaahls Wyrd.