Gorguts are a Canadian Avant-Garde Technical Death Metal
band. They formed in 1989 with Luc Lemay (vocals and guitar), Sylvain Marcoux (guitar), Éric Gigučre (bass guitar) and Stephane Provencher (drums) as the original lineup. After a deal struck with Roadrunner with their demo, they released their debut album in 1991, later being released in 2004 along with the sophomore effort following suit.
In 1993, activity ceased until 1998, with Obscura
being released, with Lemay being the only original member left. When Hurdle left, Lemay got yet another new lineup. Steve MacDonald commited suicide in 2002, leading to Gorguts' split.
In 2008, however, Lemay reformed the band with yet another new lineup. Within that time up till 2013, they had been working on new material, which was leaked 2 months in advance, with Label Season of Mist releasing a digital release a month after.
As of March 2014, John Longstreth is no longer a member, as his schedule with Origin was incompatible with that of Gorguts. Patrice Hamelin will be manning the kit for all upcoming tours, but it's not clear as to whether he'll join as a full-time member or not.
- Luc Lemay – vocals, guitar (1989–2005, 2008–present)
- Kevin Hufnagel – guitar (2009–present)
- Colin Marston – bass guitar (2009–present)
- Patrice Hamelin – drums (2011-present)
Notable Past Members
- Steeve Hurdle (RIP 2012) – guitar, vocals (1993–1999)
- Steve MacDonald (RIP 2002) – drums (1993–1995, 1998–2002)
- Dan Mongrain – guitar (1999–2001)
- John Longstreth – drums (2009–2014)
- Considered Dead (1991)
- The Erosion of Sanity (1993)
- Obscura (1998)
- From Wisdom to Hate (2001)
- Colored Sands (2013)
This band provides the examples of the following:
- Avant-Garde Metal
- Concept Album: Colored Sands explores Tibet and its relation to the outside world.
- Despair Event Horizon: How MacDonald was Driven to Suicide.
- Epic Rocking: Many of their songs, especially post Obscura.
- I Am the Band: Luc Lemay
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Generally in the 10 area, with Obscura being the hardest out of the lot due to its noisiness.
- Mythology: Became their lyrical theme as of Obscura.
- New Sound Album:
- Starting with Obscura, they ditched the old-school sound from the previous albums to their noisy, off-kilter, and frequently bizarre style of tech.
- From Wisdom to Hate mixed elements of both Obscura and the two older albums before the latter.
- Colored Sands was overall more on the prog side.
- Revolving Door Band
- Signature Style: Dissonant riffs overlapping with avant-garde-style music that happens to be loud and screechy to obtain a sound of uniqueness.
- Special Guest: James Murphy and Chris Barnes on Considered Dead, as well as a group of classical musicians on Colored Sands.
- Start My Own: Negativa was originally the Spiritual Successor of Gorguts before Hurdle decided to change musical directions when he left, leading to the resurrection of Gorguts by Lemay.
- Technical Death Metal: Of the strange, noisy, dissonant type.
- Uncommon Time: Plentiful, as is par for the course with Technical Death Metal.