Music / Sirenia
Sirenia are a Norwegian Gothic Metal
band, formed by Morten Veland in 2001, who left Tristania due to both musical and personal differences.
Though the music itself is similar to Tristania
, It has its own differences and has different lyrical themes as a whole. Known for having a revolving door of female singers.
- Morten Veland – Harsh vocals, Clean vocals (studio only), Guitars, Bass (studio only), Keyboards (studio only), Programming (studio only), Drums (studio only) (2001–present)
- Jonathan A. Perez – Drums (2003–present)
- Jan Erik Soltvedt – Guitars (2011–present)
- Emmanuelle Zoldan – Vocals (2016–present)
Notable Past Members:
- Fabienne Gondamin - Vocals (2002)
- Henriette Bordvik – Vocals (2003–2005)
- Monika Pedersen – Vocals (2006–2007)
- Ailyn – Vocals (2008–2016)
- Michael S. Krumins – Guitars & Harsh vocals (only live) (2008–2011)
- At Sixes and Sevens (2002)
- An Elixir for Existence (2004)
- Nine Destinies and a Downfall (2007)
- The 13th Floor (2009)
- The Enigma of Life (2011)
- Perils of the Deep Blue (2013)
- The Seventh Life Path (2015)
- Dim Days of Dolor (2016)
This band uses the following examples of these tropes:
- Bilingual Bonus: Some of their songs are in Norwegian.
- "Ditt Endelikt" is in both Norwegian and Spanish.
- Cover Version: "First We Take Manhattan" by Leonard Cohen.
- Epic Rocking: "Stille Kom Døden" is the longest song Veland has composed, being 12:42.
- On average the songs ranged from 4 to 6 minutes
- Gothic Metal
- I Am the Band: Morten Veland
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Varies from 6 to 9
- Nobody Loves the Bassist: Any live performances have a backing track with the bass notes being played there, as well as Veland generally doing them on studio.
- Revolving Door Band: They're notable for having gone through three different female vocalists - four if you count Fabienne, although she wasn't an "official" member of the band, instead contributing guest vocals for one album (At Sixes and Sevens). Not all of these departures were smooth - for example, Monika Pedersen quit the band over musical differences (resulting in the cancellation of a planned tour with Therion), and Ailyn was allegedly fired due to health issues.
- Token Minority: Ailyn is from Spain, while Jonathan A. Perez hails from Chile.