Website: Chatoyant College
Chatoyant College is a slice of life urban fantasy webfiction work created by Clare Miller. The plot centres around a group of three friends who are attending the only US college that teaches magic.You can find it here
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Faerie in disguise at a party.
- Friendswith Benefits: Corrie and Byron
- Functional Magic: There are various kinds of magic in the story but it is clear in the lessons, and hinted at in the story for the other kinds, that there are strict rules to how it is applied:
- Inherent Magic: This is magic that comes from within a person. It depends on the magical abilities of the person concerned and it broadly follows the 4 elements: earth, air, water and fire.
- Trance Magic: This is when someone utilizes the magic in the stuff around them. One needs to go into a trance to access it and it is more flexible.
- If I Can't Have You: In Book 9, Corrie rescinds Paul's magical restraining order. His reaction is to attack Dawn with a stone knife.
- Human Mom, Non-Human Dad: Corrie finds out, in Books 5 and 6, that her (missing) father is actually a werewolf. The reason why he was not within her life is because her mother chucked him out because he neglected to mention that fact until she was pregnant.
- Interspecies Friendship: Corrie/Dawn and Professor Lal, the gang and Troy, and Dawn and Tom
- Interspecies Romance: Edie and Leila, and Dawn's Aunt Pru and Tom.
- Magic A Is Magic A: There are strict rules on what can be achieved with each type of magic.
- Stalker with a Crush: Paul, Corrie's ex, followed her to Chatoyant College because he's Not Good with Rejection. Some acquaintances of Corrie try to help by subjecting Paul to a magical restraining order. However, Corrie feels that magic should not be used to subvert someone's will so rescinds the order in Book 9. See If I Can't Have You.
- True Sight: In Book 1 we find out that Dawn has the gift of true sight. Later, we find out this is because Dawn's Aunt Pru was given a special ointment by a faerie man.
- Wacky College: The college is like other American colleges only that it teaches magic and not everybody there is human.