Featured work: Zombie NightmareAboard the Satellite of Love, Mike and the Bots have fun with voodoo, hot tubs, and the Adam West version of Batman.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains the following tropes:
- Affectionate Parody: The ill-fated Batman play.
- Becoming the Mask: Servo becomes a little too enamored of his Batman costume.Servo: Don't touch me! I'm Batman!
- Brother-Sister IncestWaitress: I'm old enough to be your big sister.Jim: Hey, that's cool, I always wanted to make it with my older sister!Crow: Oh, so Canada has a South, too!
- Canada, Eh?: Several, several times, starting with Mike seeing "Park Harpell" and noting (correctly) that it's Canadian English.Servo: You're right Mike, this is either America ten years ago, or Canada today.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Cokie Roberts of NPR got a scalp massage. Her "on-air" reaction was "pleasurable."
- Dragged Off to Hell: Churchman's descent is commented on by the bots:Crow: (thoroughly impressed) WOW! So Hell's right there!Servo: Yeah. Thatís why you should call before you dig.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Mike and the bots go into a host segment just as the blonde girl is about to be killed. Considering how graphic her death is, it's understandable.
- Jim's death is also censored, sadly.
- Hollywood Voodoo: The Mads are into voodoo which they claim is a safe economic way to inflict evil on the world...which actually has a strong emphasis on helping others. Although, it's possibly justified because this is Dr. Forrester and Frank we're talking about.
- M&TB used the Deep 13 Voodoo kit for some good by giving a scalp massage, combing a guy's hair, and giving Jimmy Carter a hug. Thought they also can't resist the urge to use it to mess with Dr. Forrester.
- Nausea Fuel: Invoked. In a scene where Peter and Susie head for the hot tub to make out, Mike and the bots are audibly grossed out when Peter strips down to his briefs. They get particularly repulsed when his package goes right by the camera when he checks on a noise.
- "Not Wearing Pants" Dream: Discussed; during the movie's opening credits Crow quips "Every Zombie Nightmare I have, I'm naked at a hockey game!"
- Rape as Drama: The abuse heaped on the victim by the police is commented on.Waitress: I told you, he wasn't my boyfriend! I didn't even like him!Frank: Then why did you go into the alley with him?Mike (just a tad bit irritated with Frank's attitude): Oh, right, blame the victim.
- Running Gag: Adam West is upset that he didn't get a cameo in the 1989 Batman movie.
- Mike and the bots repeatedly snicker at the medical examiner's odd accent.
- When Adam West's character says "HEY!" to his subordinate, Mike and the bots repeatedly say "HEY!" in unrelated situations for the next minute.
- In one scene, Jim throws some leftover spaghetti at his mom before leaving the house. This causes Mike and the bots to bring it up a couple more times, such as, "Threw some meat loaf at my mom this morning."
- Theme Tune Cameo: When Churchman is introduced, Mike hums, "Dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah..."
- Two Words: I Can't Count: After Dr. Forrester sends Mike and the Bots a "voodoo kit", he tells them "In two words, en-joy!"
[Voodoo chanting followed by] "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR"!