Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 15 Teenage Caveman
Film watched: Teenage Caveman with shorts Aquatic Wizards and Catching Trouble
Tropes for the Teenage Caveman part of this episode include:
- Continuity Nod: Part of the movie's Stock Footage (specifically: the part with two, ahem, prehistoric creatures wrestling one another) is the same as that in Robot Monster, a first season episode. Servo takes a moment to Lampshade this:Servo: Haven't we seen this? I know we've seen this before.
- Running Gag: Joel and the 'bots keep singing the Bunny Hop as the cavemen go hopping through the jungle.
The MST3K treatment of Catching Trouble provides examples of:
- The Bully: Ross is kinda one, but Crow carries it a little further.Crow: Throw him (bear cub) down a few times, Ross! What're you scared of him? C'mon, beat him up!
- Celebrity Resemblance: Crow thinks the Seminole looks like Emo Phillips and does a killer impersonation of said comedian.
- Egomaniac Hunter/Evil Poacher: How Joel and the 'bots view Ross, instead of the Great White Hunter he is supposed to be.
- Have a Gay Old Time: A couple of times, the narrator refers to Ross as "my boyfriend".Joel: Look, he likes you as a friend but he's not your boyfriend, okay?
- Mama Bear: Sadly doesn't appear, but boy do the 'bots really want to see her enter the fray.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: In the "Catching Ross" host segment, Joel puts a rubber snake into the same bag as the Ross figure.Joel (as Ross): No, not the snake! He hates me! We went to camp together!
- Rooting for the Empire: The guys root for the wild cat and bear cubs when they try to escape.
- They root for the snakes to bite Ross, too.
Narrator: Well, this is a different assignment, and a true depiction of actually filling an order [Ross] recently received.Joel: Kill Colonel Kurtz!
- To Apocalypse Now.
Narrator: Here's the shed. (in reference to a snake's shed skin)Crow: Two Sheds?
- To A Night at the Opera: After the narrator lists the animals in Ross's order (one bobcat, two bearcubs, and three rattlesnakes), Joel adds "And two hard-boiled eggs! Make that three hard-boiled eggs!"
- Monty Python's Flying Circus:
- Take That: This short is followed with a host segment entitled "Catching Ross", wherein Joel brutally torments an action figure modeled after Ross while Tom mocks it. Fans complained when the short was put on a collection without "Catching Ross" included.
Crow: "This time, the white fascist narrator will make a racial slur!"Tom: "Hah, but what do I know? I'm only a fat hick announcer, mowing down pretzels and pinwheel cookies, and trying to come to grips with the tattered ends of a once promising life gone horribly wrong, God, God, why, why?!"
- The bots are also eager to whip the piss out of the narrator of the "Aquatic Wizards" short when he refers to a Hispanic waterskier as a "Mexican jumping bean."
- Unfortunate Implications: Behind the jokes, there is a sense of great contempt towards the people who made the short in contrast to the show's usual ribbing, though this wouldn't be the only time (Invasion of the Neptune Men).
- Vote Early, Vote Often:Narrator: Don't you know you're wanted in Chicago?Tom Servo: For voting twice?
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 14 Mighty Jack Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 16 Gamera Vs Zigra
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 21 Santa Claus Conquers The Martians Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 94 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 11 It Conquered The World