Recap / Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 17 Viking Women And The Sea Serpent
Films watched: "The Home Economics Story" (short) and Viking Women and the Sea Serpent
"The Home Economics Story" is a 1951 educational short in which college-bound girls learn about the career possibilities a home economics degree would lead to.
This episode contains examples of:
- Adaptation Displacement: Iowa State University no longer has a copy of the un-riffed version of the short.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Many fans had no idea where the heck the concept of Willy the Waffle came from 'til Squirm.
- Callback: A lot of references to Teenage Caveman and how it and Viking Women have similar-looking sets.
- At one point, Servo starts referring to the dark-haired woman, Enger, as "Creepy Girl", the woman he developed a crush on in Catalina Caper. Judging by his reaction, it seems he still has feelings for her.
- Fashion-Victim Villain: In-universe: Lots of jokes at the expense of Stark's furry outfit.
Servo (as Stark)
poodle died, and he doesn't like to waste anything.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: From the short:
Woman at podium: Today I'd like to tell you about several girls I know very well.
Servo (as woman): And why I'm being fired.
- Homage: Willy the Waffle is based on Coily from the short A Case of Spring Fever, which would finally appear in a season 10 episode.
- Memetic Mutation: "I'm a Grimald warrior!"
- Notable Original Music: The Waffle Song
- Obligatory Joke:
Enger: But I've grown in many ways.
- Padding: Those great Corman walking scenes.
- Running Gag: Waffles.
- Sitch Sexuality: When Desir is talking to the other women about how long it's been since the Viking men left:
Tom (as Desir): Let's put it this way: you're starting to look pretty good to me.
- Multiple to The Lord of the Rings at the beginning of the film.
- As noted above, many to Teenage Caveman, a previous Corman film.
- As Stark laments Desir's death...
- Take That!: The requisite potshots at Corman's low-budget filmmaking methods.
Servo, on the wild boar killing scene: Oh, look at this — Corman got his shot, catered the crew and got a costume for Teenage Caveman, all in one go.
- Joel calls Iowa State College (now Iowa State University), which produced the "Home Economics Story" short, "the high school after high school."
- Trademark Favorite Food: Joel canít stop thinking of waffles in this episode.
Forrester: Well Aunt Jemima, this time youíve really stepped off the deep end!