Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 17 Viking Women And The Sea Serpent
Films watched: "The Home Economics Story" (short) and Viking Women and the Sea Serpent"The Home Economics Story" is an educational short in which a college bound girls learns about the career possibilities a home economics degree would lead to.
This episode contains examples of:
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Many fans had no idea where the heck the concept of Willy the Waffle came from til Squirm.
- Callback: A lot of references to Teenage Caveman and how it and Viking Women have similar-looking sets.
- At one point, Servo starts referring to the dark-haired woman, Enger, as "Creepy Girl", the woman he developed a crush on in Catalina Caper. Judging by his reaction, it seems he still has feelings for her.
- Fair for Its Day: The short is a borderline case. The late 40s and early 50s were a time when women were being aggressively pushed to go back into the home and forget about work, so in a sense encouraging girls to go to college, even if the purpose was to study Home Economics, was progressive; by the same token the short aggressively pushing the storyline that a job was only something for a girl to have until she could find a man was perfectly in keeping with the social pressures of the day.
- Fan Nickname: "Todd" for Ottar, the token Viking guy.
- Fashion-Victim Villain: In-universe: Lots of jokes at the expense of Stark's furry outfit.
- Homage: Willy the Waffle is based on Coily from the short A Case of Spring Fever, which would finally appear in a season 10 episode.
- Memetic Mutation: "I'm a Grimald warrior!"
- Notable Original Music: The Waffle Song
- Obligatory Joke:Enger: But I've grown in many ways.Crow: Insert comment here.
- Padding: Those great Corman walking scenes.
- Sitch Sexuality: When Desir is talking to the other women about how long it's been since the Viking men left:Tom (as Desir): Let's put it this way: you're starting to look pretty good to me.
Stark: My son! My son!
- Multiple to The Lord of the Rings at the beginning of the film.
- As noted above, many to Teenage Caveman, a previous Corman film.
- As Stark laments Desir's death...
Servo: My dead gay son!
- Trademark Favorite Food: Joel canít stop thinking of waffles in this episode.Forrester: Well Aunt Jemima, this time youíve really stepped off the deep end!
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 03 City Limits Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 92 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 02 The Giant Gila Monster
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 16 Gamera Vs Zigra Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 18 Star Force Fugitive Alien II