Film / Gamera Vs Zigra
The seventh installment of the Showa-era Gamera
films. Earth is invaded by inhabitants of the planet Zigra, a water breathing race that wants to use humankind as a food source. It’s up to Gamera and a handful of children in the thick of it to save the day. Daiei Studios filed for bankruptcy shortly after the release of this film, leading to a nine year hiatus until the eighth and final Showa Gamera film would be released.
This is one of nine films to be used twice on Mystery Science Theater 3000
– once on the local Minneapolis UHF station KTMA in 1988 during the local run of the show and later when running nationally on Comedy Central
. For those versions please go to the episode recap page
This film provides examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade / Spikes of Villainy: Zigra
- Alien Invasion: The planet Zigra wants to take over Earth to use humans for food.
- Artistic License – Physics: Gamera breaths fire underwater.
- Blatant Lies: Lora Lee chases the children with the clear intent to kill them, all the while shouting, "Come back! I won't hurt you!"
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Zigra's henchwoman Lora Lee, as it turns out.
- Disney Death: Gamera gets one, naturally; but also the crew of the bathysphere.
- Everything Is an Instrument: Even Zigra's beached corpse
- Everything's Even Worse With Sharks: The aquatic aliens from planet Zigra resemble sharks.
- Flying Saucer
- Green Aesop/Fantastic Aesop: Don't pollute the oceans, or Space Sharks will come down and eat us all!
- Humiliation Conga: In between being defeated and being roasted to death, Zigra gets played like a musical instrument.
- Kill It with Fire
- Lightning Can Do Anything: including revive a giant turtle
- Missing Mom: Helen's mom is said to be in a New York hospital.
- Ms. Fanservice: Lora spends a few minutes in a skimpy two-piece bikini, and the rest of the movie in a T-shirt and very short miniskirt.
- Mugged for Disguise: Lora uses her hypnosis abilities to steal a bikini from a trio of pearl divers, and later a more sensible outfit from a fleeing woman.
- Name's the Same: The monster Zigra comes from the planet Zigra.
- Name That Tune: Gamera plays his own theme music, using Zigra's fins as a xylophone.
- Parent Service: The Zigra minion Lora Lee is introduced wearing form fitting Space Clothes before switching to a bikini in an attempt to blend in with humans, finally settling on a mini skirt for the remainder of the film.