Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 19 War Of The Colossal Beast
Film watched: War of the Colossal Beast with short Mr. B NaturalWhat makes Mr. B Natural notorious as the Worst MST3K Short Ever is that Mister B Natural, "the spirit of music", is played by a woman. An extremely perky woman. With a voice that could break glass. In a costume that makes absolutely no attempt to obscure her sex. All this makes the short... disturbing. Unless of course you like that sort of thing.Notably, one of the rewards for backing RiffTrax's Kickstarter for the live riff of Starship Troopers was a new riff of the full 30-minute short, with new jokes and material.
The MST3K presentation of Mr. B Natural contains examples of:
- Callback: It features a few callbacks to Pod People. "It stinks!"
- Department of Redundancy Department: Used by name, probably in reference to the album that named the trope.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?:Mr. B: "When you reached down to grab that music, to make yourself feel better, you awakened the spirit of music inside you! That's me!"Servo (as Buzz): "So I'm attracted to guys now?"
- Gender Bender: What Joel and the Bots imply Mr. B Natural is.
- In the official episode guide, Kevin Murphy (Tom Servo) describes this as "Mary Martin syndrome," rants that "a man should not have great legs and boobs," and that this is the kind of thing that "sends well-adjusted young gay men run screaming for the closet."
- Kevin in the RiffTrax version calls Mr. B "Peter Pansexual".
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:Buzz: I'd better go up to my room and do the reading.Mom: All right, son. (pause) Uh, Buzz?Crow: Now, this time don't make so much noise when you "read".
Mr. B Natural: You gotta inspect your horn, boy!Crow: And wash it every day!Mr. B: Have you ever noticed the excitement in the corridors of a school hallway?Joel: Oh, yeah...Servo: Joel!
- Done again later on:
- Hartman Hips:
Mary MartinBetty Luster, who plays Mr. B., unknowingly (or knowingly?) shows off her hips when laying down on her side at one point, provoking Joel's first comment under Ho Yay.
- Ho... er, Les Yay? No, Ho Yay, technically .Joel: Mr. B, you're hot!Joel: (dreamily) Oh, Mr. B...
- One-Scene Wonder: As can be seen from this trope page and elsewhere, the short is far more memorable than the movie being riffed in this episode. So much so that Rifftrax brought it back as a Kickstarter reward.
- Satan: If you go with the Alternate Character Interpretation (see Fridge Horror above), Mr. B, who wanders around showing off
herhis magic tricks to impressionable teenagers and tries to get them to embrace "music".Mr. B: And don't be too sure I wasn't in the garden with Mr. and Mrs. Adam!Tom: Eh-heh, you were the snake...note
- Shout-Out:Joel: Conn LTD and the New Power Generation!Servo: Connnnnnnnnn!!Servo: Uh...I gotta go finish my letter to Jodie Foster.
- Sweet on Polly Oliver: "Mr. B, you're hot!"
- Well, Excuse Me, Princess!: As per Servo: "Well, excuse me, sexless man-woman!"
- With LyricsAll: Come on and buy some crap from us!/You know that you want to!/And the white race will salute you/As you prance and gad about!
All: White, we're white/We're really, really white/We're really, really, really, really whiiiiite...
- And again, during the dance:
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!:Crow: Mr. Servo, you've GOT to be kidding me! Let's assume for the moment that Mr. B Natural IS a man. My heavens! What a confusing message to send to little kids! Already, there's the painful feeling of isolation, the horrible, scarring acne - and Mr. Servo here would have us place a cross-dressing man with a clarinet slap dab in their bedrooms! Why not men in Little Bo Peep costumes with stinky cigars explaining the facts of life to our unsuspecting daughters? I, for one—Joel: Mr. Servo, your rebuttal!Tom: Yes! Yes! Mr. Crow! I don't think we should stop there! Let's break down ALL the barriers. Hairy men in Spartan costumes holding bake sales on shady boulevards! Naked jock-strap wrestling! Big, wonderful— (commercial sign!)
The MST3K presentation of War of the Colossal Beast contains examples of:
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 13 Earth Vs The Spider Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 93 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 07 I Accuse My Parents
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 18 Star Force Fugitive Alien II Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 20 The Unearthly