Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 18 Star Force Fugitive Alien II
Film watched: Star Force Fugitive Alien IIThis is one of the nine Sandy Frank Japanese films originally used for a KTMA episode that was riffed again a few years later on Comedy Central.
The KTMA Segments:noteSegment 1
- Joel shows off his inventions, the Nunclucks, a gun silencer for pointing at people and the Chiro helmet.
- Crow and Servo try to get high from clothespins.
- Crow tells Gypsum about Thanksgiving, at least how he thinks it goes.
- Joel finds Gypsum with a clothespin, which lead him to show Gypsum about the effects of drugs. This involves Joel showing the Drug Glasses and smacking Gypsum back and forth.
The KTMA Version provides examples of:
- Artistic Licence History: Crow's story to Gypsum on how the pilgrims landing to America.
- Fantastic Drug: Crow and Servo try to get high from clipping clothespins to their noses.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Gypsy's name is still Gypsum.
- Hong Kong Dub: Joel discuses this with Gypsum in a segment.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: One of three episodes of the series that is not known to be in fan circles.
- Lost Forever: The KTMA episode is one of three not known to have been recorded by fans. The master apparently exists within the Best Brains vault, but due to the crew's views on the KTMA episodes, it may never be released to the public.
- Prop Recycling: The Drug Glasses, Chiro Gyro, and Nunclucks were used from Joel's standup.
- Sequel First: Fugitive Alien was later riffed in the KTMA season.
The national presentation contains examples of:
- Big Head Mode: Joel's Invention Exchange, the Big Head. It makes an appearance in the next two episodes, and again in episode 323.
- Gag Nose: The Mads' Big Noses.
- Irony: The first fan letter Joel reads on the show is from a kid who rants about how he hates school, and would rather spend his time watching MST3K. Joel clearly has difficulty reading the letter, and the writer even acknowledges that he has trouble writing and spelling. Did we mention this kid is also apparently 13 years old (at least at the time this episode aired)?
- Medical Drama: Parodied with Joel reviving Servo with a Magical Defibrillator and Crow going to Shatner mode.
- Rule of Funny: What's the point of the big noses? Well, they're just... really big!
- Running Gag: Continuing from the first film, Joel and the bots' singing "He tried to kill me with a forklift" whenever the theme music plays.
- Every time Rocky's name is mentioned, Crow invokes Rocky the Flying Squirrel and says, "Again?" Eventually Joel loses his temper.
- Your Head A Splode: Resulting in Servo nearly dying.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 22 The Day The Earth Froze Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 93 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 08 Gamera Vs Gaos
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 17 Viking Women And The Sea Serpent Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 19 War Of The Colossal Beast