"They can't evict you on Christmas - then you'd be Ho-Ho-Homeless!"Go is a 1999 comedy/crime film directed by Doug Liman (Swingers). It's generally viewed as one of the better Pulp Fiction knock-offs of The '90s. The film follows Simultaneous Arcs of various groups of people during one crazy night, all vaguely connected by drugs.Not to be confused for the ancient board-game known in English as "Go", or the short-lived '80s game show.
This film provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Gay: Two male Hollywood actors are forced to have a dinner date with the cop who arrested them to get on his good side. Whenever they cop and his wife are in different rooms, they both seem to be hitting on the actors, but the actors can't quite be sure. It turns out that the cop and his wife were just buttering them up to to sell them an ersatz Amway.
- Anachronic Order
- Anticlimax Cut: The Victors head to L.A. after their run-in with Simon to take revenge on him. They track down Todd (whose credit card Simon was using) instead. A brutal beat down follows? Nope. Instead, we see Todd and the Victors sitting a table together while Todd draws a map to Simon's place.
- Anti-Role Model: Choose a character.
- Badass Grandpa: Victor Sr.
- Beat Bag: Vitamins and chewable asprin get sold gullible rave goers as ecstasy.
- Brick Joke: Manny, arguably
- Decoy Protagonist: Sarah Polley's Ronna initially seems to be the main character, but she apparently gets killed at the end of the first act. The film then follows various other groups of people. She gets better anyway.
- Did I Mention It's Christmas?: The action all takes place on Christmas Eve, but the holiday really doesn't have much to do with the story.
- Fake High: The gang sells aspirin to clueless teens as ecstasy, and they all pretend to get high. It helps that Ronna convinces them to smoke "like, a lot of pot" to go with it.
- Idiot Houdini: A sleazy strip-club owner berates his useless son for this."You know what wakes me up in the middle of the night covered in a cold sweat? Knowing that you aren't any worse than anyone else in your whole screwed up generation. In the old days, you know how you got to the top? Huh? By being better than the guy ahead of you. How do you people get to the top? By being so fucking incompetent, that the guy ahead of you can't do his job, so he falls on his ass and congratulations, you are now on top. And now the top is down here, it used to be up here... and you don't even know the fucking difference."
- Oh Crap!
- Mistaken for Gay: Adam and Zack bicker like an old married couple, causing a girl at the supermarket to think that they're gay. In a surprise reveal, it turns out that they are.
- Mistaken for Servant: Marcus, due to being black and wearing a gold blazer.
- Mushroom Samba: Manny takes a handful of ecstasy and while in a grocery store starts hearing 'Macarena' and hallucinates that he is dancing with the checkout lady and they are feeding each other bananas.
- Random Events Plot
- Reckless Gun Usage: One character plays with a loaded handgun in a moving car while his increasingly-concerned friend attempts to get it back from him before it goes off. It doesn't.
- Revenge: With some Honor-Related Abuse thrown in.
- Romance on the Set: In-Universe Adam & Zack
- Shout-Out: Todd asks Claire early on, "Are you a virgin? Answer the question, Claire!" Eventually, she gets the reference.
- Simultaneous Arcs