Melissa Ann McCarthy (born August 26, 1970) is an American film and television actress, comedian, writer and producer.McCarthy first gained recognition for her role as Sookie St. James on the television series Gilmore Girls, where she starred from 2000 to 2007. From 2007 to 2009, she portrayed Dena on the ABC sitcom Samantha Who. McCarthy was then cast as Molly Flynn-Biggs on the CBS sitcom Mike & Molly, a role that earned her an Emmy Award win, as well as another subsequent nomination. McCarthy was also nominated for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for her work as host on Saturday Night Live.McCarthy achieved major success and fame for her breakthrough role in the 2011 comedy hit Bridesmaids, which garnered her numerous award nominations including an Academy Award nomination, a BAFTA nomination and a Screen Actors Guild Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. She also appeared in the films The Nines, The Back-Up Plan, and Life as We Know It, and her 2013 roles include Identity Thief, The Heat, and The Hangover Part III.She's also the cousin of Jenny McCarthy.
- Gilmore Girls (2000-07) and Gilmore Girls: A Day In The Life (2016) as Sookie St. James
- Charlie's Angels (2000) as Doris
- Kim Possible (2002-05) as DNAmy (voice)
- Samantha Who (2007-09) as Dena
- The Back-Up Plan (2010) as Carol
- Life as We Know It (2010) as DeeDee
- Mike & Molly (2010-2016) as Molly Flynn-Biggs
- Bridesmaids (2011) as Megan, her Star-Making Role, which also got her an Oscar nomination.
- This Is 40 (2012) as Katherine
- Identity Thief (2013) as Diana
- The Hangover Part III (2013) as Cassy
- The Heat (2013) as Detective Shannon Mullins
- Tammy (2014) as Tammy, also screenwriter and co-director.
- St. Vincent (2014) as Maggie
- Spy (2015) as Susan Cooper
- Big Fun: A few of her roles feature her as this.
- Fat Bastard: In Identity Thief
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Her film roles. For instance, her hosting appearance on Saturday Night Live included a sketch where she played an expy of Mae West and fell down the stairs repeatedly.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Plays rather frumpy girls in many of her comedic roles, but as can be seen by the page image, she's quite attractive; in fact, much of the frumpy is through makeup and unflattering hairstyles.
- Spiritual Successor: Some see her as a female equivalent of Chris Farley or John Candy, especially in terms of broad physical comedy.