This is 40
is a comedy/drama film, and the fourth film written and directed by Judd Apatow
. It is a Spin-Off
(or, as the trailer states, a "sort-of sequel") to Knocked Up
, following Pete (Paul Rudd) and Debbie (Leslie Mann) five years after the events of that movie as they deal with the complications of married life, their kids growing up, and the fact that they're both turning 40.
This film provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion / Celebrity Paradox: While high, Pete laughs about how much he looks like Ross from Friends. Paul Rudd gained attention for a recurring role in later seasons of the show.
- As Himself: Billie Joe Armstrong and Graham Parker, among others.
- Babies Make Everything Better: Not at first, though.
- Big Eater: Pete's body issue is that he loves junk food and only pretends to give it up.
- Cluster F-Bomb
- Coming of Age Story: A minor sideplot with the eldest daughter.
- Complaining About Things You Haven't Paid For: Pete gives his mooch father an original drawing by John Lennon worth at least $5,000. His father only complains that it's a bad picture and it's too much work to sell it.
- The Danza: Jason Segel, once again, as Jason.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Seems to happen anywhere Desi is.
- Doing It for the Art: In universe, Pete only wants to work with real musicians and will not sign someone based on looks alone to make money.
- Face-Heel Turn: Jodi at first appears to be the honest but unskilled saleswoman at the store. It turns out that she's a drug-addicted, lying thief.
- Fanservice: Desi stripping down to her underwear to be fondled by Debbie, though at least that scene ties into Debbie's character arc. The underwater shot of Desi swimming in her bikini and getting ogled by the guys is purely fanservice.
- Debbie showing off her breasts in two scenes.
- Jerkass: A lot of people in the movie, especially Pete and Debbie.
- Informed Judaism: Pete is stated several times to be Jewish, though it doesn't factor into his character or decisions at all. His father, played by Albert Brooks, is pretty Jewy, however.
- Ms. Fanservice: Desi, naturally.
- Oh Crap: Happens when Barb accidentally blurts out in front of Pete and the girls that Debbie is pregnant.
- Pet the Dog: Pete's father has an endearing moment with Debbie at the hospital, but he's still a mooch.
- Precision F-Strike: From Sadie to her parents.
- Shout-Out: Pete mentions Fargo when jokingly saying he'd kill Debbie with a woodchipper.
- Take That: Sadie does this to Mad Men.
- The Stinger: An outtake of Melissa McCarthy's ranting during the meeting with the school principal.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Ben and Allison from Knocked Up never make an appearance, even for Pete's birthday party. What happened to them? All we know is that Pete got the weed cookies from Ben.