A type of Author Appeal
in the Harem Genre
. Like a particular Moe
character type? There's not just one character that fits in this show/game/what have you, but the whole cast is composed of them! (Well, usually. Sometimes there's an odd haremette out, just for variety's sake.)
Necessarily needs something like Four Girl Ensemble
or Four-Temperament Ensemble
to differentiate their personalities, if not attaching other moe stereotypes to each of the characters, because you can't very well have four or five pining childhood friends that have been waking you up in the morning for fifteen years
without a bit of variety between them.
Also, doesn't seem to apply to settings; even though these are actual and well-known moe zokusei, "they're all soldiers
" or "they're all schoolgirls
" doesn't count, or we'd have every harem series on here and then some. Plus it's really about personality type. If they were all the hardened soldier type with a secret Bodyguard Crush
or tall high-school students
with inferiority complexes, now that would be different.
Originally Eroge and Visual Novels
- Kanon has four childhood friends; in fact, the fact that Shiori is a standard Ill Girl with no connection to the hero (making her the odd haremette out) may explain why she always gets shafted in adaptations and merchandise. In this case, Nayuki has the traits of the typical Patient Childhood Love Interest, living with the male hero and harbouring a crush on him for years.
- The eroge Little My Maid is Exactly What It Says on the Tin: a meido-centric game (although you could also go after the ojou); the title is actually a pun because it turns out the maids are actually mermaids and, more to the point, the daughters of Urashima Tarō and mistress Hime was his wife, Otohime and is their mother.
- Lets Meow Meow has 3 catgirls (one of which is a Meido, one is a Robot Girl and the third is a Miko), a rabbit girl, a police officer dog-girl and a Childhood Friend who doesn't mind dressing up like a Cute Monster Girl from time to time.
- Speaking of trashy Porn Without Plot eroge, Secret Wives Club had Christmas Cake.
- Futakoi, at the very least, had six sets of twins for the harem. It really took things to the next level and, naturally, repeatedly pushes the protagonist into some sort of awed dizziness (that is, when he's not too busy running from his harem's own "harems" or other "defenders").
- Sister Princess is Brother-Sister Incest-happy, with 12 or 13 sisters running around proclaiming their Big Brother Attractions. In the game, the legal ones all have optional endings where they turn out to be Not Blood Siblings, and in the anime, one isn't even adopted and is only posing as their sister.
- Higurashi: When They Cry plays with the trope a little: it only pretends to be a harem series until people start dying, but it's not until that point that it becomes clear that the "harem" has a Yandere/Cute and Psycho theme. There are two odd haremettes out, but both are played up to be crazy before The Reveal.
- Katawa Shoujo is set in a school for special needs students, and so all the girls are somehow disabled, ill, or otherwise physically "vulnerable": you get to choose between one who is deaf-mute, one who is blind, one with no arms, one with no legs, and one who is covered in horrible burn scars.note
- Dracu-Riot is about vampire girls, with one exception for variety.
- Imouto Paradise is, unsurprisingly, about Little Sister Heroines. Five, to be specific.
- Invoked in Tsukihime. Shiki has this strange "Tohno Gland" that specifically drives away normal girls, and attracts incredibly beautiful but incredibly crazy women. Thus, all of his girls have something to do with the supernatural.
- Purino Party sets the player up for girls with different sexual interests.
- Ranma ½ features dangerous martial artists of some kind or another, however bizarre or outlandish. They're all Tsundere Clingy Jealous Girls, on top of that.
- Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei may count - the protagonist is male, and most of the other characters are female students. Many of them have crushes on or Ship Tease with him, and every single one of them has an unnerving psychosis of some kind. Some of them have actual psychological disorders, others are just plain weird.
- G-On Riders has nothing but meganekko.
- Minor joke in Black Lagoon fandom, as so far, Rock, of all people, attracted at least two Action Girls (Revy & Eda) and one Lady of War (Balalaika). Although it's definitely obvious that only one of them is clearly falling/lusting after him (in a way), at least they had some potential.
- The girls in Princess Resurrection are all dominant/assertive, with half being Aloof Dark Haired Girls.
- Rosario + Vampire - an Unwanted Harem consisting of five Cute Monster Girls.
- Guardian Hearts - a harem of Magical Girls.
- Tenchi Muyo! - a harem of Human Aliens.
- Hanaukyō Maid Tai - a harem of maids.
- Hand Maid May - a harem of Robot Maids.
- El Goonish Shive had it Played for Laughs once (for Nanase).
- Played-Not-So-For-Laughs in the "Family Tree" arc when an evil magic user starts turning everyone at a holiday party into identical, subservient, mind-slaves (who happen to bear a striking resemblance to Nanase) in an attempt to rebuild the harem-cult he had controlled in the past.
- Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl is basically a harem of really weird girls — hence the name. The first part of its Japanese title (Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko) is often translated as "Lunatic Women".
- The webcomic Ow, my sanity - a harem of Eldritch Abominations who take the form of Cute Monster Girls.
- Marugoto Anju Gakuen - a harem of Youkai.
- Yumeria - a harem of Super Heroines.
- Magikano - a harem of Cute Witches.
- Daily Life with Monster Girl - another harem of Cute Monster Girls.
- Sekirei features multiple harems of Human Alien Magical Girlfriends, most of which are also Action Girls with enormous breasts.
- Ouran High School Host Club differentiates the characters into common types, but they all fall under Princely Young Man — and, if you ask the protagonist, Upper-Class Twit as well.
- Ah My Buddha - a harem of nuns (not Mikos).
- Nisekoi - A harem of childhood friends, more specifically the Forgotten First Meeting kind of childhood friends.
- Haiyore! Nyarko-san - A harem of Cthulhu Mythos Eldritch Abominations in the form of cute teen humans.
- Two harems of Robot Girls in Saber Marionette J - not only that; Lime, Cherry, and Bloodberry have an Edible Theme Naming, while Tiger, Luchs/Lynx, and Panther have a Vehicular Theme Naming / Animal Theme Naming.
- Ranma Club revolves around Ranma gaining a harem in the form of the Winx Club, which results in a harem of Magical Girl fairies.