A subtrope of the Harem Anime genre, where the male lead has a harem of potential love interests, all of whom are some sort of Action Girl. Sometimes the harem may appear in a form of Hero Secret Service or as an Amazon Brigade. Because this is a more action-oriented subgenre, Battle Harems are less likely to be focused on romance, but still provide plenty of fanservice. Often this appears in the form of a Supporting Harem. Often a Themed Harem, with all the girls having a shared origin and/or character tic/type, but not always. See also Battle Couple.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- A Certain Magical Index: Among the girls interested in Touma are a human repository of thousands upon thousands of spellbooks, the third most powerful Esper in Academy City and her 10,000 'Sisters' who have Level 2 powers and military expertise, a sword-wielding priestess note , one of her spear wielding subordinates, a magical spy/courier who wants to seduce him into working for her country, and the pre-teen leader of a magical cabal. It's even lampshaded; some people are starting to wonder if, with all the powerful women he's recruited to his side, he's setting up some kind of resistance force.
- AIKI features only Action Girls that Joukyuu is training.
- Black Lagoon: Rock's got an Dark Action Girl Harem started, though Revy's the main contender. Eda's made her admiration plain, hitting on him several times. Not to mention Rock's open defiance of Balalaika somehow scoring him points with her and creating some UST there.
- The main point of Deadline Summonner is the protagonist trying to get by with his summons, in the least violent, and safest way possible. Unfortunately, there aren't many boring, safe jobs in a fantasy universe for a person of his skills. Fortunately, the girls are VERY capable fighters.
- And unfortunately, the girls are just as likely to be fighting amongst themselves and destroying the main character in the crossfire.
- High School D×D: The more girls who join in the Occult Research Club, the more girls Issei gets.
- Infinite Stratos: The result of having an Unwanted Harem equipped with Powered Armor. As Ichika's co-homeroom teacher Maya once stated, with his force of six representative pilots (Let us count them all, shall we? We have representatives from Japan, England, China, France, Germany, Russia, and possibly America), he has more than enough to "start a war."
- Kore wa Zombie desu ka?: The harem consists of a Necromancer, a Magical Girl, and three Vampire Ninja.
- Soujirou, a supporting character in Log Horizon, has one in the form of his guild the West Wind Brigade which is mainly composed of female players. Since it is considered to be one of the top combat guilds in Akihabara despite its relatively small size (around 60 members), its members can be assumed to be all very strong. And they are all head over heels in love with Soujirou. Somehow.
- Mahou Sensei Negima! has over 20 women, most of whom are Action Girls in some form or the other, some of them ludicrously powerful, and most of the rest being at least Plucky Girls or otherwise quite useful in some way.
- Maji De Watashi Ni Koi Shinasai: More true for the anime with Miyako, Wanko, Yukie & Chris already in Yamato's harem from the start, and the Momoyo (and others) in play. In the game, each girl has her own route, though in the Ryuuzetseran route, you get Momo, Miyako, Tasuko & Angel.
- Maken-ki!: Takeru has Haruko, Inaho, and Celia vying for his affections, though Haruko adamantly denies having any feelings for him. All three also happen to be high-level ability users, two of whom, each wields one of the original 8 Maken.
- Mouse is a Harem Anime comedy that consists mostly of scenes about hilariously over-the-top heists Sorata pulls and scenes where his accomplices/servants, ahem, lavish attention on him in a hilariously over-the-top fashion.
- In the harem of Omamori Himari, only one of them is a normal human who isn't capable of defeating just about anyone else.
- Ranma ½: Ranma Saotome's Unwanted Harem is full of Action Girls. Not surprising, since he lives in a world where everybody gets their own style of martial arts.
- Rosario + Vampire: All the harem members are capable of holding their own in battle (at the very least) and spend much of the first season defending Tsukune. Justified in that while Tsukune is human, the girls are all Cute Monster Girls - the possible exception is Moka, who needs Tsukune to take off her rosario in order to fight at full strength but even without that she is pretty strong. The show, while very fanservice-y, does also have a strong focus on romance, especially in later arcs.
- The girls all get noticeably much stronger and more skilled over the course of the series as well, except for Moka who doesn't have much room to improve since she's top-tier from day one.
- Sekirei is built around this trope, with the titular aliens being Action Girlfriends to their Puny Earthling lovers. The protagonist, as well as most of the other prominent Ashikabi, each have their own harem of Sekirei and are competing in a battle royale where There Can Be Only One. It veers between comical harem antics and serious action, borrowing heavily from shounen fighting series with many girls being either a Spirited Competitor or a Blood Knight.
- Tenchi Muyo! OVA - is a series about one guy living with five girls, who're all in love with him consisting of: Ryoko, Washuu, Ayeka and Sasami, and Mihoshi. Everyone except Sasami is skilled fighter (and clearly she will be too once she grows up), and all of them are very much superhuman. Washu is a literal goddess, her daughter Ryoko is something more than a demigoddess given her lack of a mortal parent, and Sasami is in the process of merging with Washu's younger sister Tsunami. And as of the end of OVA 3, Washu and Tsunami's other sister Tokimi looks to be joining the harem.
- The current Emperor of Jurai, Ayeka and Sasami's father, has his own (albeit smaller) Battle Harem: his two wives Funaho and Misaki are each powerful warriors.
- Along with the other Tenchi stuff, there's Tenchi Muyo! GXP. By the end, it's the captain, eight girls and an overpowered starship fighting pirates.
- Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar has this with almost every girl that is in love with Kenshi also being a highly trained and skilled combat mecha pilot.
- '' You wouldn't expect this to crop up in a Mobile Suit Gundam show but the full crew of Naze's vessel in Iron Blooded Orphans is made up of his harem.
- In For Want of a War, Only one of Ramza's possible love interests can't fight.
- In Kyon Big Damn Hero, we have the Reality Warper, the Human Alien slightly-less-powerful Reality Warper, the tazer-wielding Yakuza Princess, the Time Traveler, the Teleporting Slider....
- As the RWBY fic She's got a halogen heart puts it: "Even with Weiss attempting to direct everyone, it was nearly impossible to keep them on the same topic without the promise of sex or fighting to hold their attention."
- In "Manos" The Hands of Fate, the antagonist has a harem of wives that are ready to fight for him... which apparently includes fighting each other.
- A Brother's Price has a form of this. Men are rare, so when one is married off it's to an entire family of sisters who themselves are the children of several different sisters and one father. Women rule this world and work fiercely to protect their fragile brothers, sons, and husbands from other women who would literally kidnap them, so this is sort of a default.
- The Wheel of Time has Rand in a relationship with three girls, all of whom agree to share him: Min is a Lad-ette and a Knife Nut, Aviendha is a Proud Warrior Race Girl who used to be a member of an Amazon Brigade and grew from being an Action Girl to a really strong channeler, and finally, Elayne is a Badass Princess who is also a strong channeler.
- Kei from Akai Ito has four women who are seriously interested in her, ready to fight to death to protect her. It's very noticeable because Kei herself is not an Action Girl.
- Every party member in Brave Soul except The Hero and his pet dragon is female, and is a potential love interest. Actually, so is the pet dragon.
- In Duel Savior Destiny your six love interests are all members of an elite group of trainees who are studying to save the world. Though it turns out that if any of them is the main heroine, it's the one that's least suited to be there.
- An eroge Eiyuu Senki, every other character other than the nameable protagonist Harem Hero is female. All of whom eventually fall in love with him.
- Its sequel, GOLD, introduces even more characters, including a new main heroine. Although, the sequel is a retelling of the original, only with a new prologue.
- Galaxy Angel features Mission Control Takuto Myers in command of the Angel Squad.
- Galaxy Angel II has Kazuya Shiranami, a pilot and leader of the Rune Angel Squad.
- In Koihime†Musou, Kazuto's generals do all the fighting.
- The Valkyries of former Training Squadron 207B form Takeru's Battle Harem in Muv-Luv Unlimited and to a lesser extent in ''Muv-Luv Alternative, where they are still present and in love with him but not romanceable. Instead, he gets paired off with the mysterious Unit 00.
- Yuuya from Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse gained one during his time with project prominence.
- Princess Waltz : The 2nd Act has all the princesses coming together to face the big bad. They are effectively Arata's harem at this point.
- Riviera: The Promised Land
- Record Of Agarest War has five generations of harem. All of them are Ladies Of War.
- An RPG Maker game Romancing Walker has six love interests, and they're all your permanent allies.
- In Seinarukana, of the 14 Brigade members, 9 are female. Of these, 6 are potential love interests.
- Shiki in Tsukihime, being in the same multiverse as Fate/stay night, has also attracted a harem which includes an ancient vampire who can summon the moon itself, an Executor from the church, a half-demon hybrid, a succubus, an alchemist and an exceptionally powerful classmate-turned-vampire. Also extends to Melty Blood continuity.
- A male lion will generally have several lionesses in his pride at once. In fact, an adult male lion has literally failed at life if he doesn't have a Battle Harem.
- Muammar Gaddafi kept an all-female team of elite bodyguards called essentially "the Revolutionary Nuns" in Arabic or "the Amazonian Guard" by the Western press.