Video Game: SNK vs. Capcom
"This battle is about to explode!"
"This is gonna be a match to remember!"
- Capcom vs. SNK 2's announcer before a fight.During the height of the fighting game popularity, one of Capcom's biggest competitors was SNK, creators of the Neo Geo console and arcade system, who challenged Street Fighter's dominance with a wide array of linked and standalone games and series, culminating with their own massive multiplayer crossover, The King of Fighters. Naturally, in 1999 and 2000, the inevitable happened, and the two companies came together to both make separate fighting games based on the concept.The fighting games of this series, so far, are these:
- SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium
- Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000
- Capcom vs. SNK 2: Mark of the Millennium 2001
- SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos
Examples of the series in general:
- Demoted to Extra: Characters such as Robert Garcia, Mature, Daimon, Yang and Andy get only passing mentions, assist roles, or cameos, in the entire Capcom vs. SNK series. This is very noticeable in the SNK side, because most of the KOF teams (sans the Women Fighters Team) are incomplete in the games. For example, the Art of Fighting Team lacks Robert, the Fatal Fury Team lacks Andy, the Japan Team lacks Goro Daimon, the Villain Team lacks Billy Kane, and so on. Chang also shares his moveset with Choi in Capcom vs. SNK 2, but Choi got into SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos with Chang only getting cameos.
- Dialogue Tree: The games are full of this, with stuff like Geese throwing a Reppuuken at Bison to blow his cape away.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: The Card Fighters games. Of course, being digital trading card games, the characters themselves don't appear per se.
- Shout-Out: Check the page.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The Street Fighter cast, who always make up more than half the Capcom side characters. Some of the cases would be more appropriate to call Street Fighter vs. SNK. To be fair, the majority of the SNK side is comprised of characters who've already appeared in a King of Fighters game, so Street Fighter vs. The King of Fighters would be a better title.
- The first game at the very least had Morrigan and Nakoruru, who come from series (Darkstalkers and Samurai Showdown) outside of both Street Fighter and the King of Fighters. The second one introduced more characters from outside those games (Final Fight and Rival Schools as well as other SNK participants who haven't been in a KOF game). SVC Chaos saw Mars People, Athena, and Mega Man Zero join the fray.
Alternative Title(s):SNK Vs Capcom
Shadow the Hedgehog UsefulNotes/The Sixth Generation of Console Video Games Capcom vs. SNK: Millennium Fight 2000