An old flame returns.Hello Mary-Lou: Prom Night II
is a 1987 sequel to Prom Night 1980
The film is centered around the ghost of Mary-Lou Maloney, who was accidentally killed during her Prom Queen crowning in the 50's. Mary-Lou's spirit is accidentally released by a girl named Vicki when she finds her old prom dress. Mary-Lou then possesses Vicki, and sets out to get revenge and become the prom queen once more.
This film has the examples of:
- Accidental Murder: Mary-Lou's death by fire is caused by Billy dropping a stink bomb on her as she is crowned, which ignites her dress.
- Alpha Bitch: Mary-Lou when she was alive, and Kelly in the present.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Mary-Lou is subdued by now older Billy by putting her prom crown on her head, which presumably satisfies the conditions of her revenge. He also decides to steal a kiss from her as a form of trying to make right what happened 30 years ago. Cue romantic flash back to the original prom. What is actually happening is that the prom queen is using the opportunity to Body Surf into the guy, who then goes on to kill his children off-camera.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Vicki has loudly called Kelly a bitch for mocking Jess after her death and has also slapped her.
- Deadly Prank: Mary-Lou's death.
- Demonic Possession: Mary-Lou's method of operation.
- Depraved Bisexual: Mary-Lou swings both ways, as evident on her attempt to seduce Monica.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Jess chipped off one of the rhinestones on the prom queen tiara, which caused Mary-Lou's spirit to violently toy with her by dragging her around the art room by the cape from the trunk, making it look like she was going to have her head chopped off by a paper trimmer before hanging her by the cape and then throwing her body out the window.
- Evil Is Petty: Is. It. Ever.
- Follow the Leader: Hello Mary-Lou leans towards supernatural slasher genre á la Elm Street.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Smug Kelly ends up having to give a blow job to win prom queen, doesn't get it, and is killed completely by accident when she gets stabbed in the chest when one of the neon lights in the auditorium comes loose during Mary-Lou's rampage.
- Made of Plasticine: That neon light doesn't really look like it hit Kelly that hard. It just kinda...fell against her. It seems like impalement would take more force.
- My Beloved Smother: Vicki's mom comes across as a really watered down version of Margaret White, though thankfully her dad is still around and he is much more understanding.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Plenty of characters share surnames with famous horror creators: Craven, King, Romero, Browning, Dante, Carpenter, Waters, Henenlotter....
- Numbered Sequels
- Really Gets Around: Mary-Lou when she was still alive, which ultimately led to her jealous boyfriend Billy accidentally killing her.