A common type of Prose Fiction
and a good way for new authors to start out. Short stories are any stories that run up to 7,500 words in length, though some definitions place them as long as 20,000. Due to the discrepancy, short stories can overlap with the Novella
and the Novelette
but are usually categorized separately.
Short stories are usually published in magazines and, more rarely, collections. There is a large Pulp Magazine
industry that is much easier to break into than the book industry, which makes it a good place for a new writer to build up a resume. And a good place to stage Old Shame
More info can be found at The Other Wiki
makes a job of publishing audio version of short stories.
- Most of what H.P. Lovecraft wrote was in the form of a short story. These include:
- Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince.
- Robert E. Howard also made his career on short fiction, with every Conan the Barbarian story save The Hour of the Dragon being a short story.
- "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" was both short, and a story.
- I, Robot was a series of short stories by Isaac Asimov.
- "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell
- "Arcana Magi Zero" is a Web Original Short Story trilogy written by H-M Brown.
- "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson
- "There Will Come Soft Rains", a Ray Bradbury classic.
- "Brokeback Mountain" was originally a short story by Annie Proulx.
- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" was originally a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- "Lust, Caution" was originally a short story by Eileen Chang.
- "The Dandelion Girl" by Robert F. Young.
- "Magic For Beginners" by Kelly Link.
- "Romance with a Double Bass" by Anton Chekhov.
- "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner.
- "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius " by Jorge Luis Borges
- "The Library of Babel" by the same author
- Most of the Transformers: Timelines fiction consists of short stories, and issues of The Transformers and Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers had short stories published in them occasionally.
- The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers is a short story collection.
- The shortest story ever is apparently by Marget Atwood. It goes, "Longed for him. Got him. Shit".
- Tying for that title is Hemingway's bet-winning short story. "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." (Though it's undetermined if Hemingway actually wrote this story).
- Spanish Literature has Augusto Monterroso with his short story "El dinosaurio:" note "Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí". note .
- Robert Westall wrote a great deal of what some consider his best work in short fiction form; notably Break of Dark and the best of anthologies Demons and Shadows and Shades of Darkness.
- The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Le Guin.
- GJ-bu is a strange case; it is marketed as a Light Novel but is more accurately a collection of short stories, all exactly 4 pages long.
- "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut.
- Stephen King has several collections of short stories in his bibliography, and many films have been based on these stories. The early stories were usually published in men's magazines, and King has pointed out that the income often took care of necessities the family couldn't afford otherwise. Many fans express a preference for King's shorter work over his novels.
- Nobel prize winner Alice Munro works exclusively in the short story format.
- Short Stories were all that H.F Arnold ever wrote, one is a classic horror story, the other 2 are impossible to find.
- "The Son's Veto" by Thomas Hardy.
- Books Of Blood by Clive Barker.
- Despoilers Of The Golden Empire by Randall Garrett.
- The Extinction Parade by Max Brooks, which was later adapted into a comic book.