A type of Prose Fiction
which is essentially a short novel
which is longer than the novelette
. Described by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America as any work between 17,500 and 40,000 words in length. Can overlap with the Short Story
Novellas are relatively uncommon in English language publishing due to there being little market for them. However, there are notable exceptions. Novellas are often sold in installments within several editions of a fiction magazine making many of them examples of a multivolume work
Quite a few video games
in the 1980s came with novellas, which acted to provide backstory
that wasn't possible to squeeze into the games themselves.
Novellas tend to have simpler plots than novels, but these plots necessitate more complexity than in a novelette due to the added length.
For more information, see the other wiki
- Alpha's Tale, a tie in to Survivors by Erin Hunter
- Animal Farm by George Orwell.
- Anthem by Ayn Rand
- At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft.
- Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.
- Carrie, The Mist, and Blockade Billy by Stephen King.
- Several of King's novellas, like The Mist, were compiled into collections with other novellas or with short stories.
- Different Seasons
- The Circus of Doctor Lao by Charles G. Finney
- Como agua para chocolate (Or, Like Water For Chocolate) by Laura Esquivel
- Coraline by Neil Gaiman
- Daisy Miller by Henry James
- Future History by Aaron Wall
- The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen
- Hollyleaf's Story, Mistystar's Omen, Cloudstar's Journey, Tigerclaw's Fury, Leafpool's Wish, and Dovewing's Silence, tie-ins to the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter.
- The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.
- Chapter 22 of The Pale King.
- Pharmakembru series by Monos D.O.A
- Sherlock Holmes had four associated novellas: A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles, and The Valley of Fear.
- Sula by Toni Morrison
- Treachery, Aftermath, and Shadow Days, tie-ins to the Nightshade Trilogy by Andrea Cremer.
- Unstrung, a tie-in to the Unwind trilogy by Neal Shusterman.