"Do flies live very long?""The Fly"
is a short science fiction mystery story by Frank Langelaan, which was published on the Playboy
magazine in 1957.
One night Francois Delambre gets a call from his sister-in-law Helene, who informs him that she has killed his brother (and her husband) Andre. Her claim is proven true as Andre's partially crushed body is found under a steam-hammer in Delambre family's factory. Thus starts the unraveling of the circumstances that lead to Andre's death.In 1958
, a film adaptation was released. Another one by David Cronenberg
was released in 1986
This story has the examples of:
- Driven to Suicide: Andre's fate, as aided by Helene. She follows the suite with cyanide shortly after giving her written confession to Francois.
- LEGO Body Parts: The Teleporter Accident left Andre with a fly leg in the place of his right hand, and cat-fly head in the place of his own.
- Screaming Woman: When Helene finally sees what exactly has happened to her husband, she starts screaming and is unable stop it for a long time.
- The Speechless: The accident left Andre unable to speak, and he communicates to Helene with knocks and written messages.
- Teleporters and Transporters: What Andre was working on, and what caused the Teleporter Accident.
- Teleporter Accident: Prior to the Andre's own accident, another botched teleportation left his cat Dandelo stuck between the transportation points.