Four Past Midnight is a 1990 collection of four horror novellas by Speculative Fiction
writer Stephen King
- The stories include:
- The Langoliers: A group of passengers on a plane flight awake on the airport with the entire area completely deserted.
- Secret Window, Secret Garden: A writer has to deal with accusations of plagiarism from a particularly unhinged man.
- The Library Policeman: A man who is struggling to write a speech checks out two books on the subject and becomes stalked by a strange man and an equally strange librarian.
- The Sun Dog: A sort of prequel to Needful Things about a Magical Camera.
The Langoliers was made into a film in 1995 from the director of Child's Play. Secret Window, Secret Garden was also made into a film in 2004 starring Johnny Depp
A Description of Tropes appearing in Four Past Midnight:
- Animalistic Abomination: The titular being in "The Sun Dog" is more than likely one of these.
- Canon Welding: "The Sun Dog", like many King stories, takes place in Castle Rock, Maine
- Emotion Eater: Ardelia Lortz in "The Library Policeman"
- Hot Librarian: How Ardelia appears to some people.
- Humanoid Abomination: Ardelia Lortz.
- Lovecraft Country
- Magical Camera: How the monster in "The Sun Dog" enters reality. At first
- Most Writers Are Writers: Mort Rainey and John Shooter in "Secret Window, Secret Garden"
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: The Library Policeman in the short story of the same name takes the form a man who did this once to the protagonist during his childhood.
- Scary Librarian: Ardelia Lortz in "The Library Policeman"
- Show Within a Show: The short stories "Secret Window" and "Sowing Season" in "Secret Window, Secret Garden"
- Television Portal: The dog in "The Sun Dog" seems to be able to enter through the real world in any form of technology.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Ardelia Lortz in "The Library Policeman" is a different kind of vampire indeed. Instead of sucking blood, she feeds on her victim's fear, which manifests itself as bloody-looking tears oozing from the corners of their eyes. Ardelia's face transforms into a cornucopia-like snout which sucks up the tears as they are expelled.