Have you guessed who the werewolf is? You have 30 seconds to give your answer.
This film is a detective story— in which you are the detective. The question is not "Who is the murderer?"— But "Who is the werewolf?" After all the clues have been shown— You will get a chance to give your answer. Watch for The Werewolf Break.
— The opening narration
And that's essentially the gist of it. Rich hunter Tom Newcliffe invites several people to his mansion, the reason being that he desires to hunt for a new, more dangerous game: a werewolf. And he knows that one of his guests is one.
Starring Calvin Lockhart, the film was released in the 1974 to cash in the blaxploitation
craze. It is based on the story "There Shall Be No Darkness" by James Blish
Examples in this film:
- Cool Guns: Tom's Rexim-Favor Mk5. Pavel also uses a silver Walther PPK at one point.
- Covers Always Lie: Along with the billing, Cushing also hogs the cover, due to his horror image status.
- Driven to Suicide: After killing the werewolf, Newcliffe kills himself so that he won't turn into one.
- Driving Question: Who is the werewolf?
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Tom's dog senses when someone is about to make an attempt on his life with a bow and arrow.
- Eye Scream: Pavel's corpse has one of its eyes gouged out.
- Fake-Out Opening; The film opens with Newcliffe being chased around with a helicopter and men with guns. Turns out he is just testing his new security system with himself as the bait for the guards.
- Foreshadowing: "Tom, what if the werewolf turns out to be me?" "Pow!"
- Get a Hold of Yourself Man: Panicking Davina gets slapped.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Paul ate a piece human flesh when he was still a doctor.
- IKEA Weaponry: Tom assembles a machine gun from a case when he goes to hunt the werewolf.
- Mercy Kill: Tom kills his dog after it suffers a fatal wound from the werewolf.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: There's a lot of discussion about if silver affects them or not. The answer is somewhere in between.
- Red Herring Mole: Paul Foote gets initially painted as the werewolf, but ultimately proves no the be one.
- The Reveal: And the werewolf is: Jan the pianist.
- Sensor Suspense: Used when Tom is hunting the werewolf on the first night.
- Smart People Play Chess: Dr. Lundgren and the diplomat Bennington play a game of chess.
- Staking the Loved One: Tom is forced to shoot his wife Caroline when she turns into a werewolf.
- Super Window Jump: The werewolf jumps through a window to kill Pavel.
- Teacher/Student Romance: The relationship between Jan and Davina started when he was teaching her.
- This Was His True Form: After dying, the werewolf's corpse changes back to human.
- Title Drop:
Tom: Tonight is my last chance, the last night of the full moon. And I warn you both; tonight, the beast must die, and will.